Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
All,

I continue to search for this similar car. I search the typical websites for classic cars. I have been unsuccessful but keep pushing. I am NOT a car guy. My father is a vet and turns 80 in 2024. My brother and I have been searching for a similar vehicle he purchased while in the service.

I have been trying to look for a “similar” car that my father owned when he was in the service in ~62-~68. He was born in ’44 and only served the combat part of his enlistment at the first part of the War. He was stationed in bodega bay California.

Our family story of that car.

My father took all his money during the service, and he bought an Impala from an S. California dealership (Maybe San Diego I’m still figuring it out). He never called it other than his “427.” I don’t know the specs on that vehicle, but I did post pictures of his car to military forums (stickers seen in attached pics and background military ships) and they were extremely helpful when we focused on the military stickers on the car, and it was a military base those vets confirmed. I was able to find out that the stickers on those pictures on the car’s bumper and side windows were military base “access” stickers. So, he did have to register the car with the military base to bring it on base.

He met my mother while driving that car, b/c of that car. Here I am today.

Their car was stolen a year later and finally found without parts/wheels/engine… etc. just a shell on cinderblocks. But the car was a forever important story for my parents to their sons. My mother passed, my father ls still thriving in FL soon to turn 80.

Attached are the pictures he took during those years with his car. If you can help identify. These are the pictures I have, but when I was a kid he had way more and I remember the interior being blue.

Why I’m reaching out… I think I have found a similar car being sold in Michigan. Here is a link to that car being sold in MI. I’m desperately reaching out to anyone who has expertise in this area to see if my research, comparing the pics I have to the dealer pics in MI are the same/similar car.

I really really really appreciate any info provided.

Original photos are attached.

Post to the car I think is similar:
https://www.lafontaineclassiccars.c...et-impala-ss-rwd-2d-coupe-168376c113692/

Attached Images
Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.12.51 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.12.04 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.11.41 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.11.22 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.11.00 PM.jpg Screenshot 2023-07-29 at 11.10.34 PM.jpg
Last edited by atsig411; 08/01/23 12:32 AM.
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat. Great story and nice car! From the photos provided the car in the link appears to be a very close cousin. Folks with more knowledge than me will be along to chime in with their opinions. The one thing that jumped out to me was the claimed mileage. Unless the car spent it's life in a museum 982 actual miles seems a bit far fetched to me. The volume in the video was low so I may not have heard correctly but I believe he mentioned the car being restored. Unless it was stored outside a 982 mile car might need refreshed but not restored. Definitely worth asking some questions before you put out that kind of money.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Your Dad's car was a 1966 Chevy 2-door hardtop Super Sport with the factory 427 engine. I'd say the one you found is an excellent match. I suspect that the 982 mile figure is the mileage since it was restored, but you could certainly ask the dealer who is selling the car.

If you're thinking of buying this one, I strongly recommend that you pay someone who knows these cars well to go have a look at the car on your behalf, inspect it closely and drive it before you make any offers. These cars are extremely popular, and there are quite a few "clones" out there -- cars that were originally a much more modest car that were subsequently converted to SS427 during their restoration. That makes them much less desirable/valuable.

Maybe one of our VCCA members in the Upper Midwest would be able to look at the car for you.

As to the price, others who specialize in these cars may offer an opinion. The muscle cars have gone way up in value in recent years.

Good luck with your search, it's a nice thing you're doing for your Dad.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you all for the replies. I appreciate it more than you know. Thank you.

Chip ChatMaster 2,000 - I reached out to this forum on a whim and see any appreciated response. We are too in NC.. Black Mountain, specifically Montreat. I appreciate your response and the fact that from what I see in the bio, looks like we are neighbors.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.