Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#483619 07/21/23 10:21 AM
29Doug Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Looking for an oil pump cover with pick up tube. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I have this NOS original style oil pick up screen . Will that help?

Attached Images
DSCN5121.JPG DSCN5122.JPG
1 member likes this: 29Doug
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello Doug, So the '29 oil pump was a hold over from the '28 4 cylinder engine. Now it has to supply oil to two more cylinders and a higher speed engine. Some of those pumps only had 1 vane instead of 2. If you have the engine apart that far you might think about upgrading to a '30 to '32 oil pump. The way to tell is that the casting for the impeller is about 1/8" deeper than the 1/2" one on the '29 pump. The other thing to do is upgrade the 5/16" copper line from the oil pump to the engine block to 3/8" copper compression tubing, and 1/4" pipe fittings instead of the 1/8" pipe fittings. Some of us have also drilled out the oil passage to the oil distributor valve to increase volume.

A '30 to '32 oil pump can often be sourced for $35, or so.

1 member likes this: 29Doug
29Doug Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Chevy B.

Thank you. All set on screen, needed pump plate and pick up tube. I have found one. Thanks much!

29Doug Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Beachbum,

I wish I had seen your post sooner, but was having trouble logging in. I just found a pump at filling s. My pump is a two vain slipper though. I would certainly of opted for the later year pump, good to know however.
Also, thank you for the tips on larger supply tube.

Reluctantly to admit, apparently I left the pump cover on a tool box of friends visiting truck after being side tracked with other things. When I went to grab it I had forgotten I set it on his truck prior to backing in his fifth wheel trailer into our yard for him. His wife ran to town while I helped him set up camper. Looked hi and low to no avail. Couldn't believe it... I was getting ready to resurface wear out of it. I am in process of checking rods with plastic gauge to adjust as close to spec as possible. One rod had no shims left. Previous owner have removed some shims yrs ago.

On a side note, would you know if anyone offers a crank thrust shim similar to a 3039s model T shim? That would be great until such time as I can rebuild block.

Thanks again for your input.
Regards, Doug

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The center thrust bearing for the Chevrolet engine is not adjustable sideways with shims if that is what you are asking. The center bearing is somewhat critical in its dimensions in that the oil deflector at the rear bearing is dependent on it. I think it was somewhere in the clearance range of .004" to .009". If someone has the repair manual handy hopefully they can look it up for clarification. Therefore do not sit through a stop light with the clutch pushed in. It won't last long, especially in a pre 1930. 1930 was the first year with the pressurized main bearing. It still might not be enough to keep it from wearing out quickly with heavy clutch use. Just an opinion.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.