Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#483530 07/17/23 05:32 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I've reached out to the Heritage GM group, and they don't seem to be able to provide a restoration package, or any specifications on rebuilding the wood cab. We have a 1930 Chevy 1-1/2 ton truck that needs a lot of work, and unfortunately the original wood had been poorly replaced before, so we do not have a pattern to work off of. Does anyone here have specs on the wood, specifically the floor area? We have something to work with on the doors, top, sides - but the floor is in bad shape.

Thanks!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
In a nut shell there may not be any patterns, or a readily available fix. In our region there was a fellow who bought the remains of a 1918 Chevrolet V8 chummy roadster at the Portland Swap Meet. The sheet metal was badly mangled and there was no part of it that was more than 2' off the ground. I tell you this so you can visualize what it looked like, a twisted mess. I told him I thought he bought a really interesting pile of scrap metal. He hired a very talented shop to carefully straighten everything out. Surprisingly they did not have to replace much sheet metal. After that he would take old scrap 2"x4" studs and carefully cut, grind, and shape it to the body. When he got it fitting nicely he would trace and remake that piece out of ash. For something as small and mostly straight as a truck cab this should be quite doable. It may take awhile.

To finish the story unfortunately he passed away before completion but he bequeathed it to another member who is getting close to having it completed. It looks amazing. It just takes perseverance.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
For my 28 truck I did a member search, and looked at them individually to see what they owned for vehicles. Many of them have emails so I reached out and asked what questions I had about things. Made several new friends that way as well.
One member lived within an hour of me so I drove over and measured his cab wood and made a couple of templates.
I bought some pieces from Jim Rodman (some just one of each) and then made the opposite side.
If you are good on cab side and door wood and your cab is intact for the most part recreating the sills and floor wood by trial and error shouldn't be that hard. I did my whole cab back and doors that way with only slivers of wood left, and built a new roof with nothing but measurements and pictures.
David

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.