Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi experts.
Anyone help with the following information :-

Harmonic spacer 836356 - i believe mine is missing.
Has anyone got a 30 engine in bits - i require dimensions of this spacer ID X OD X Thickness

Any help in this matter would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

clive sewart
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello cms161150,
Your question brings about more questions than any positive answers that I could give. 'chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com' The 1929-32 Master Parts Price List, page 1 'motor' then page 9 'harmonic balancer' shows: U - Spacer, Harmonic Balancer 836356. U=1930. OK, 1929 only lists 'pulley, crankshaft'. 1930/31/32 each list harmonic balancers of different part numbers. 1930 is the only one that lists a spacer. Why is that? My guess (only a guess) might be because of 1930 harmonic balancers not being long enough installed so to be out of line with the fan pulley. With everything installed, you might check your pulley and belt alignment. If out of alignment, that would at least give a spacer thickness measurement. Hopefully, the 1930 folks can be of help to you.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
1947 parts book lists that spacer as 13/16" ID x 1 7/16" OD and 1/16" thick .Also states to used 2 spacers on early 1930 and 1 spacer on late 1930

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for both replys.

Correct - the 1930 pulley/balancer needed a spacer because not long enough.
All was in line untill i fitted the new type water pump and had to jiggle the alternator mountings.

Did'nt think to check 1947 parts book as my info says only fitted to 1930.

For information - engine stripped and rebuilt 12 months ago and i cannot remember if a spacer was fitted or not.
Finally started her recently - all good - shes on blocks whilst brakes are being sorted (converted to hydraulic in agentina in the 40's).
Engage any gear and due to crank end float - crank is pulled back slightly which causes balancer/pulley to catch on timing cover.

What i do remember is the timing cover at some point in it's life had been modified (with a big hammer)
Of course i proffesionally and with great expertise corrected this (with my big hammer).

This leads me to believe the mod was done originally to stop balancer catching on cover and therfore spacer had been lost.

Am in the middle of removing radiator to gain access to pulley - so will be able to answer my own question.
Will be able to measure end float correctly and make spacer to suit and set up alignment of all three pulleys.

Thanks for your input - will come back when sorted

clive sewart
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello cms161150,
Thank you for giving the reason why a spacer was needed to be used between the 1930 crankshaft and the harmonic balancer. My guess appears to be wrong, but thats OK, I'm still learning. When designs change and issues appear and fixes are found, it would be kind to post what the issue was and the need for the fix. Mechanics might be interested and enlightened enough to be able to explain these remedies to their customers. Naw, who cares? Just follow the parts book. Which, leads to the question, which parts book? Good luck and if it don't fit, use a bigger hammer.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Finally sorted.
Took longer than anticipated (as usual) - rain stopped play many times - puller would not fit with engine in situ -
Had to make a new one.
As suspected there wasn't a spacer fitted. chevey b - spot on with your sizes - I fitted a 3mm thick one (120thou in old money). Had some left over from jiggling brake and clutch pedal shaft.
Interestingly enough the part number (casting number?) on the balancer was 836349-3 which does'nt match.
All back together fine - no rubbing.

But as usual 2 steps forward and three steps back - now refusing to idle/tickover - so carb will need another blow out.
And of course its not a standard carter updraft. Again modified in the 40's. Has a ford/holley 1 barrel downdraft fitted.

Now where have I put my holley carb bits and pieces?
AND ON WE GO.......

clive sewart

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.