Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#483022 06/27/23 07:02 PM
m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
Are the washers for the body mounting bolts supposed to be cupped or are mine just that way from over tightening? I purchased a body mount hardware kit from COF and was not impressed with the quality. The flat washers are smaller outer diameter than original and the longer bolts have full body thread. The flat washers are not cupped.

Last edited by m006840; 06/27/23 07:03 PM.

Steve D
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Recently reset my body on frame and many of the original body washers were cupped. Over half of them were cupped, some very visibly cupped and others only barely cupped. Most were very thick like nothing I could find in hardware stores. A few were thinner than all the others and of one or two of those, the cupping was not uniform across the washer, as if due to an off-center nut/bolt combined with over tightening.

I sanded them all by hand then primed and painted each one. After that I stared at them and handled them for months like stress-reducing rubbing stones until I had several sets of four that were similar in flatness, or cupping, or non-uniformity and a few pairs that were similar. I enjoyed that each washer was slightly different than the next.

While grouping the washers in four's and two's I noticed that the outer edge of each washer had a sharp edge and a curved edge. Almost all my washers were cupped on the side with the sharp edge except one or two. I assumed the cupped, sharp edge sides faced the nut on the underside of the body and faced the bolt head for the two toe-board washers inside the body and the four washers inside the trunk.

m006840 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 7,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 7,000
A friend suggested to stack the washers which I did and found they were not uniform. This suggested that they were cupped from tightening so the 3 lb hammer was used to flatten them. They cleaned up nicely in the bead blast cabinet and are now ready to be used. I did not notice the variation in the edge so will take another look.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The sharp edge/curved edge is the result of manufacturing process. Those washers were stamped from a flat piece of steel using dies and cups. The sharp edge is what is called the breakout side of the part.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.