Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Doug_L Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi,
I have a 33 Master with a 3 speed manual transmission. It is leaking badly at the front shaft seal. Seems like an easy fix, til someone mentioned that it may have failed due to a bad front main transmission bearing. If I remove the transmission, how can I test the bearing and due I need to disassemble the same to replace the bearing? If it is bad, is it likely that other bearings are bad also?

Any help is appreciated.
Doug.

Doug Ledonne
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I would plan to remove the transmission and inspect it. Unless someone has modified yours there is no front main seal. There is a slinger that keeps oil away from the front bearing.

If you have the transmission very full and park the vehicle with the front headed down hill it will leak out the front of the transmission.

I encourage you to get a shop manual and parts catalog. They will help you better understand the design and how to repair the vehicle.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
It will be necessary to remove the Front shaft to test the bearing, In so doing the oil deflector in front of the bearing and the front bearing retainer can be inspected in the process,

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.