Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
1941 Master Deluxe 216 motor

Question asked by my son's and looking for the best answer other than it is working properly. We added an in-line glass fuel filter with the glass bowl like what should have been there when it was built. When we first installed it the bowl would fill with gas as the car was running, once stopped it would empty to the bottom of the filter. At this point we had fuel weeping at the fittings. Since fixing this weeping fittings the bowl stays full with gas even a day later.

My answer was that the weeping fittings were allowing air to get in and the gas was flowing back down the line till it hit that point, they thought the pump should have a one way valve on it to prevent back flow.

So I guess the big question is does the fuel stay due to there being no air leaks and secondly does the pump have a one way valve?

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The answer to the question

"So I guess the big question is does the fuel stay due to there being no air leaks and secondly does the pump have a one way valve?"

is yes. The air leaks allow the gas to drain out of the line. Actually there are two one way valves. One before the diaphragm and the other after it. That is how the pump works. Fill the cavity created by lowering the diaphragm through the inlet valve with the outlet valve closed. Push out the gas through the outlet valve on the upstroke with the inlet valve closed. Any air leaks reduce the pumping efficiency down to zero.

Air leaks are by far the reason that a fuel pump does not work properly. Diaphragm and fitting leaks not only leak gas but also air.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Think of it like holding your finger over the end of a straw when you lift it out of a container of liquid. The liquid stays at the level it was when the straw was in the container.

I would not be surprised that after a few days of sitting the filter will empty. One reason will be the sealing efficiency of the check valve in the fuel pump. The other will be due to the gas evaporating out of the carburetor float bowl. The float will drop and open the needle valve. That will let air into the system (like taking your finger off the straw).

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I guess this is all a good sine that we stopped all the leaks then. over 24 hours and the bowl is still full. I expected it to evaporate out of the carb but was thinking that may take about a week.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
If the check valve is really good the bowl will not empty even if the float drops.

You might be surprised at how quickly today's fuels evaporate. As a test just pour a little into a small open container and let it sit outside for a few days.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I hAVE NEVER SEEN A BOWL MORE THAN 1/2 FULL.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Now curiosity has me walking out to the car daily just to see how far the fuel level has gone down in the bowl. The car was last run Sunday afternoon. As of 10:00 AM EST on Tuesday the level is still high, picture attached. I only use non-ethanol fuel in all my small engines and the 87 Monte Carlo and 41 Master Deluxe. I also add StaBil when I add fuel regardless of how long they will be sitting. Is it possible that the non-ethanol and Sta-Bil make any difference?

Attached Images
FuleFilter.JPG

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I think you're over thinking the whole thing. As long as it's not actively leaking fuel you're OK. I doubt the fuel or additive has any effect.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
3 members (Augie, Tiny, dunfire), 61 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,047
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.