Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Added and inline fuel filter using compression fittings. It is weeping where the fittings enter and leave the fuel filter. What did I do wrong? I was told not to use Teflon tape like I would for water on this and that it should be fine without. Apparently I needed another step that I am missing. These are as tight as I can get them.

Attached Images
FF.JPG

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Apparently the filter casting has a defect. You can use the yellow teflon tape on the threads. It is good for gas lines. I also found a sealer at Tractor Supply for gasoline applications. Has brush for applying. Allow to dry some before putting the parts together.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Use plain old pipe dope. There's dope for gasses and dope for chemical liquids so be sure to read the label. You should find it at any hardware store in small tubes or larger jars depending on your need. It also works great as a low to medium strength thread locker.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Those are tapered pipe threads where the fittings connect to the filter housing. You will need to use either tape or some type of sealant at those connections.

Hopefully you can compress the the ferrules a little more to make those fittings seal again.

Don’t forget the carburetor.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Sometimes if I disassemble a ferule type fitting I will mark it so that it can be tightened back to the same spot. Many of those type fittings are not perfectly round and will weep a little after being reassembled, especially if they are from Cheena. They make the best stuff over there. A little melamine for your baby food to boost the protein rating, or a little lead for your paint to help it stick better. Nice folks, they are always looking out for us.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
If the fittings are flare and tapered seat using tape is a waste of tape but a fixed thread it is advisable to use a couple of turns of teflon tape suitable for fuel, Loctite do a thread sealer but I need to check my toolbox for the number it is good for high pressure which isnt a consideration in this situation.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Lots of good choices, I have had good luck with Gasoila thread sealant. They make many types for gas and other applications.

Dave

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Looks like another trip to the hardware store. Only issue is that is one of those places where I go in to buy 1 item, end up buying 10 items and forgetting the one I went in to get :).

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Glad I am not the only 1 that does that and not only in auto shops.
Tony

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The rule in our house is that if you are going for more than 2 items you make a list.

Joking aside, I have started keeping running lists of things I need in the Notes function on my phone. For example, right now I am down to my last few 7/32" drill bits. So they are on the list for the next time I am at Harbor Freight.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I and my wife text each other on groceries so the next one to pass the store gets it and we cut down on the number of total trips we have to make. The list stays in the text messages that way. Sometimes I have started ordering on Amazon just to avoid the ops I forgot to get that issue. Also then I do not pick up the extra items that cost more. Exceptions are made for things I get at local businesses but I do not see much difference between Walmart and Amazon at this point.

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for all of the advice. We have fixed all of the leaks. Bought some liquid Teflon thread sealer at NAPA rated for gas. A small bottle looks like a lifetime supply to me. Used it on all of the male threads as the instructions specified and no leaks. Took the car out for its first drive of the year and checked for leaks half way through nothing, checked when we got back, nothing. Next morning noting. To avoid any issues with the compression fittings I just cut them all off and used new ones. Since we added an inline filter putting a slightly longer line from the carb and shortening the other was no big deal.

Attached Images
filteerSM.JPG

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
With compression fittings it isnt the thread that seals, the sealing is done at the cone like ends of the pipe and the female body, putting sealant on the threads is a waste of sealant. A combination of making new fittings and likely doing them up tighter would be most likely why it is now fully sealed.
Tony

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.