Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I have a 1941 Master Deluxe that is still 6v, no plans to change to 12 v. Asking this question out of curiosity.

When I got the car it did not have a ground strap on the negative side. What it does have is a vary thick / heavy cable for both the positive and negative terminals, both black and unlabeled when I got the car. One of the first task was to label them before installing a battery.

What is the advantage of a ground strap verses a cable if any? I am asking this assuming both have been sized correctly. I am looking for functionality not authenticity. Mine has not issue providing power that I can tell, starter turns it over well.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
I'm not an electrical engineer so this is just opinion based on personal experience. As far as functionality I don't think there's any difference if they're properly sized. My opinion is the change from braided cable to wire rope cable was based on cost. It takes a bit longer to braid a cable than spool out a given amount of wire rope. Time is money.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I agree with Tiny.

One works just as well as the other.
We have both on the farm and there is no difference in function.

The one advantage the strap has is flexibility.
It will take tighter bends and twists if necessary.
For example, you can come straight up the side of the battery, make a right angle bend over the edge, and easily get on to the post.
We do have a couple of units where that is an issue.

Ole S Olson
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Thanks for the answers. I suspected it was a cost issue. It is hard to bend but does the job. Biggest complaint I have with the way mine are is that both are black and if one did not know what they were doing it would be real easy to revers them. That is why I labeled the positive before putting a battery in for the first time.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Online Content
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Wrap a few turns of red electrical tape around the end of the positive cable or slide a length of red shrink tubing over it.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tiny
Wrap a few turns of red electrical tape around the end of the positive cable or slide a length of red shrink tubing over it.

I initially wrapped the red tape on it. Then when we re-wired the car my son lapeled it with a tag that had a big + on it. While rewiring the car and he labeled everything that was or resembled a wire.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.