Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rossco Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
when tank is full it shows 3/4 full on gauge .when tank is empty it shows empty on gauge.i removed tank and tested sender unit with ohm meter it reads 0 to 33 ohms .i earthed the sender to chassis then moved arm up and down on gauge it showed empty when down and full in up position.installed back into car and put earth on mounting screw to chassis as before had no earth wire.it took 3 US gallons before gauge moved after 7 US gallons it showed 1/2 tank. does this sound right on an 11 gallon tank? i measured in US gallons. the cork float is in good condition.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
These gauges are by nature not very accurate. You might improve things somewhat by bending the float arm so the float sits lower in the tank.

I had similar behavior on my '37. I determined that the old cork was so saturated with gas that it did not float until it was fully submerged. So I installed a new cork float.

It worked great - for about 2 weeks until the cork got saturated again. So I "re-calibrated" my interpretation of the gauge. I knew that a full tank would read under full. When the gauge hit empty i knew I needed to head to a gas station.

Cork does not like today's gasolines due to the additives, even non-ethanol gas. I know that some people on this forum have adapted a brass float with good results. If I had kept my car I was going to try that.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
I used a cork but I dipped it in a gas tank sloshing compound first and let it dry thoroughly. It has held up buoyantly for the last 6 years.

J Franklin
Rossco Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have ordered another float.when I set the sender how many gallons do I have to put in for gauge to pass empty.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
My send is 6 years old and has read the same way since installed. I just fill it up when it gets to 1/4 tank

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You will have to hook up the tank to the gauge when empty and off the car. One wire from the tank itself to the car chassis and one wire to the gauge. Bend the float arm down so you can hear the float touch the bottom of the tank as the sender unit is mounted flat on the tank flange.This is the most important position of the float. The float must just rest on the bottom of the tank. A gallon of gas should cause the float to lift. The full indication on the gauge is not as important as the empty indication.

Rossco Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i did this with the new floats and happy with the end result thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
5 members (Mr87Monty, Morten, Nick_in_Manitou, conv48, Keith Knox), 74 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,067
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.