Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#479217 02/27/23 12:17 PM
Kelly_t Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello ladies & gents, I joined because I’m working on a 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe convertible that’s been sitting for 20+ years. It belonged to my ex boss who has since passed away.

The plan is to get it running and sell it later this year. I’m mechanically inclined, do all my work on my own cars as well as the company fleet of trucks, tractors, construction equipment, etc. I’m not a classic car person per se, except for Toyota Land Cruisers(85 FJ60,92 FJ80 currently).

Back to the 50 Chevy, thus far in the process of getting it running I’ve gone thru the fuel system and just started on the cooling system. The fuel system process involved having the tank restored by a Renu distributor, new sending unit, new fuel pump, rebuilt carb and flushing the fuel lines.

Starting to work on the cooling system has involved a new radiator (Northern Aluminum) since the original had a leak and was restricted by debris. I consider having the core replaced(for valuation purposes)but deemed it too expensive since it will be sold and the family of the original owner are not car enthusiasts.

I did put some light weight oil in all cylinders to let soak for now. I’m not going to crank it over until I get it pre lubed then check the oil pressure by starter cranking with the spark plugs out.

My only question at this time is; is there anyone local to Notre Dame university that owns one of these classics? The owners manual is pretty basic and some features worry me a bit. The power folding top comes to mind. I tried to upload some pictures but no luck. Too big I guess.

Attached Images
9AC14324-6493-4B14-8F35-FFECB3BF14E7.jpeg DEE6E4F7-57E8-465A-8EC7-6970D08F39EC.jpeg 1247D060-C561-4A7A-964A-62C37EED3191.jpeg A57999E5-5E3A-4ACD-A184-EFE0704A2B1F.jpeg
Last edited by Kelly_t; 02/27/23 12:32 PM. Reason: Photos
1 member likes this: Clement
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Kelly_t #479220 02/27/23 12:55 PM
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Welcome Kelly! Nice car. If you joined the club you can log on to the club home page and do a member search to locate club members in the Chicago area. Club members also have access to technical advisors which are listed in each issue of The Generator and Distributor. Whether you're a member or not you are welcome and encouraged to post questions in the technical forums. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. I would recommend you buy a shop manual for a start. Reprints are available from most of the vendors.

https://store.fillingstation.com/detail/DG-7/Chevrolet_194954_CAR_SHOP_MANUAL.html

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Kelly_t #479226 02/27/23 02:24 PM
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If it were mine I would remove the rocker arm cover and lube the valve stems and make sure there are no stuck valves. The intakes sticks most often.
Spray at top of guide through valve spring.This is a common problem with this engine.
Also if there was a lot of rust and junk in the readiator it is coming from the block which also needs cleaning or you will plug up youur new core.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 02/27/23 06:12 PM.

Gene Schneider
Chev Nut #479263 03/01/23 03:41 PM
Kelly_t Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by Tiny
Welcome Kelly! Nice car. If you joined the club you can log on to the club home page and do a member search to locate club members in the Chicago area. Club members also have access to technical advisors which are listed in each issue of The Generator and Distributor. Whether you're a member or not you are welcome and encouraged to post questions in the technical forums. You have come to the right place to get your questions answered. I would recommend you buy a shop manual for a start. Reprints are available from most of the vendors.

https://store.fillingstation.com/detail/DG-7/Chevrolet_194954_CAR_SHOP_MANUAL.html
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
If it were mine I would remove the rocker arm cover and lube the valve stems and make sure there are no stuck valves. The intakes sticks most often.
Spray at top of guide through valve spring.This is a common problem with this engine.
Also if there was a lot of rust and junk in the readiator it is coming from the block which also needs cleaning or you will plug up youur new core.

Thanks guys! Great suggestions I will delve into.

2 members like this: Hendo, Clement

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.