Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I recently installed the Deluxe Steering wheel on my 1951 Styleline Special Sedan and cannot get the horn contact ring to make connection with the steering column to ground and activate the horn. None of my manuals have installation or adjustment information, nor can I find the information online. I think I have all the parts listed below.
1. Horn button contact with spring. 2. Metal horn contact ring. 3. Horn spacer pivot ring with screws and tension ring. 4. Horn ring screw insulators. Does anyone have this information? Thanks much!

Attached Images
Steering Wheel 2.jpg
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The first thing to install is the large almost flat metal spring. Note that is slightly dishd. The outer part goes down, slightly raised center goes up.This grounds on the center of the steering wheel so that area must be clean and not painted, etc,

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the reply Gene. I have the metal spring installed correctly and is why I'm puzzled. The horn spacer pivot ring goes on top of the metal spring which allows it to pivot to make contact with the steering wheel shaft and ground to activate the horn. With the horn spacer screws as loose as possible, it still cannot pivot enough and make contact. I also have a 55 150 2 door sedan my Grandfather bought new and a Bel-Air steering wheel for it. I checked it but the design was changed and simplified for the Tri 5 Chevys. All the parts are new except the metal spring and it just seems like something is missing to give the metal spring enough lift to pivot and make contact with the steering shaft washer.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.