Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
A friend is purchasing an antique vehicle without a title or registration. North Carolina requires a title, or previous registration, or you need to purchase a bond. I have heard of people obtaining registration from another state and using that to obtain a NC registration does anyone know how to do this?

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sent you a PM

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I would go through the NC License and Theft division of DMV and go through the used car dealer appraisal and bond process. The people at the DMV will work with you to get you a legitimate title. It's not complicated if you do it right and exercise a bit of patience..

This is the legal way to go about it and you don't have any lingering worries. Short cuts are problematic and one may end up with a big mess.

Good luck with it whatever you do.

Best,

Charlie computer

BTW: NC has a process that limits the tax on old cars. It will have to be insured, licened as a "Horseless Carriage" or "Antique"j license plate, shown often and not used for everyday driving, etc. It limits the tax value to $500.and the annual license and taxes run about seventy bucks. Your local property tax office will give you a form to apply for this benefit.

BTW2: Take each of the places you go to in order to complete this process and they will appreciate it. Tell them you need their help. Doughnuts from Crispy Cream seems to work well. Above all be nice and don't lose you cool. Again be patient. Realize that NC has a relatively through and demanding license process.

BTW3: Don't start at the License Division of the DMV. Instead first take the car to the local License and Theft Division.

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
A word of advise. There are a lot of lawyers who make a very good living from title fraud cases, the selling or transferring of vehicles that are not what they are represented to be by the title. If anyone offers to sell you a title from another car for you to use to register yours, that is fraud in every state. It's more work often times but go through your state's process for obtaining a valid title but it's the right way to do it. You can thank me later.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Bare feet, you may recall the issues I had with title and registration, with a totally valid ‘51Chevy vehicle, when I lived in Hendersonville, NC

As mentioned, contact the Buncombe County Theft Division, a division of NC State Patrol.

They will assist your friend to a honest direction to title and registration.

This was the head of the division whom I dealt with,don’t know if he’s still in the same position.

Tracy L. Davis
Lieutenant
State Law Enforcement Agent
District 7
NC DMV License & Theft Bureau

828 782 9643 office
tldavis@ncdot.gov

1624 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28806

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.