Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#474298 09/18/22 10:32 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I found this article very said.
This is an intriguing photograph captioned just ‘Autos ready to be destroyed’. The year is 1938 and the venue is a scrapyard in what has to be the Massachusetts area. Look closely and you will see that several of the cars on that huge pile have words painted on them as some kind of warning. We can read: ‘Death-Trap’, ‘Condemned', 'Dangerous’, ‘Unsafe’, ‘The Last Ride’

I'm sorry I can't make the picture bigger. Well now I can't seem to get the picture attached. I can't even delete this post

Attached Images
Death trap.png

John EF Schildberg III
1 member likes this: Primo
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Interesting glimpse into the past. A little More can be found here: https://www.prewarcar.com/dangerous-death-traps-to-burn

From the Article:

"What’s going on here? We found Paul B. Smith to be an authorized Ford, Chrysler, and Plymouth dealer back in the 1930s. And, aided by a traffic safety campaign, this dealer must have advised the car’s owner to have it scrapped in this rather vigorous way. This was an answer to the problem of what to do with the increasing number of old cars, many of them deemed unsafe, that filled the American roads and supposedly killed thousands a year.

At least we can say that it’s not only the safety of our cars that have improved over the decades – the way of getting rid of them has also certainly been improved upon!"

[Linked Image from images.prewarcar.com]

Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Primo, that is the web site that I copied the article from. It was very interesting.

John EF Schildberg III

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.