Hello Everyone,

I am helping an elderly member of the VCCA with a 1940 MD. He got my name out of the G&D and called me to say he thought the transmission was bad and did I have any contacts.

I told him I would come by his house first to be sure it wasn't something simple.

Turns out the shift mechanism was way out of adjustment and a lever had dropped out of place. I was able to unbolt the 1st and reverse bracket lock/location bolt and slip the out of aligned lever back in place. In the process of doing that, what appears to be a bushing slid back up into the tube. My guess is the bushing should at least be a press fit, given what little information is mentioned about its depth location in the tube.

Because he doesn't have much in the way of tools, I will need to bring my own.

Looking into a 1940 Chevrolet manual that I bought, and a Motors repair manual that I have, neither touches on the removal of this sleeve from the shift shaft. My guess is that if I remove the shift mechanism from the shift shaft, this "sleeve" will slid off and I can replace the bushing.

2 questions :

1) am I right in my assumption ?

2) which bushing should I buy to replace it ? plastic or metal ? ( CoF's lists both )

From there I will reset all of the clearances, starting with the height of the mast jacket to the steering shaft shoulder that the steering wheel rests on.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
old cars are meant to be driven !!
VCCA # 047832