Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#472837 08/07/22 03:50 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1954 Chevy 210 DelRay and I want to take out the steering box to get it rebuilt. The steering has gotten progressively more sloppy over time. Any pointers to follow to make it easier? Thanks in advance.
Frank

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The Chevy shop manual describes the removal process as well as rebuilding the gear box. I recommend you have a copy before you start.

Take lots of pictures each step of the process.

The trickiest part of removing a steering assembly is trying to determine the path out of the vehicle. I have done some where the only way out was to lift the vehicle high enough that you can drop it out the bottom. Some can be maneuvered out through the engine compartment and over the fender. Make sure you remember that exact path so you can reverse it..

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
First and foremost, have someone rotate the steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the front of the car and look for any looseness in the tie rods and ball joints - if those have any looseness rebuilding the steering box won't help.
Then, look at the pitman arm shaft that goes into the steering box. It should not move forward or backward at all! If it does, the bushings inside the steering box should be replaced. Some times adjusting the slotted threaded stud (6.822) (illustration at http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/397.htm) on the outside of the steering box will take up some slack. Also try adjusting the 6.532 adjuster will help (it limits the up and down slack of the steering wheel). The steering idler third arm (6.179) in this illustration (http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/parts/1929_54/378.htm) is frequently the culprit.The pin and bushings where this assembly is bolted to the front axle are a frequent wear point and the cause is lack of grease. Check also for worn king pins.There is a reason Chevrolet specified that all these points (except the steering box) be greased every 1,000 miles!
My grandmother had my car serviced every month even though she only averaged 200 miles a month, never mind 1,000 miles! It was in great shape and I drove it 1,200 miles to Denver when she gave it to me when it was 21 years old and had about 50,000 miles. I then drove it as my daily driver for 6 years and about 200,000 miles, and I did not service it every month, so I know all about wear in the steering system!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Oops! I assumed that Frank had confirmed the problem was in the steering box. I agree that there are a lot of other opportunities for wear and slop in a steering system.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the suggestions. I have friend coming over Wednesday morning and we are going to go over system and double check my determination and if necessary remove the box. I was just trying to think ahead and be ready if the steering gear had to come out.
Thanks again. I’ll let you know what we find.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Check the drag link ends. There are small coil springs in the ends and if one breaks it will cause excessive play.
The 1953 and 1954 steering gear have roller bearings for the pitman shaft rather than brass bushings so are more durable.
Also a worn center steering am (idler arm) will cause play, it should have no up and down movement.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I suggest checking the wheel bearing adjustment before other procedures.

Steve D
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for all the suggestions. As it ended up once we had it in the air and tried the steering wheel and I had a chance to look at the movements it jumped right out. There was one missing bolt and the the loose holding the ball joint to the steering tie rods. Tightened up the bolt and replaced the other and I’m back in business. Very lucky as the ball joint was rubbing the oil pan. So far only scratched the paint but over time it could had worn though and released the oil. Good to have a friend to help out.

Thanks again!

Frank

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Frank,

That is great news. I am glad that it was a relatively simple fix. Thanks for letting us know the result.

Your experience is a good reminder to check the simple stuff first.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.