Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#424967 04/30/19 03:04 PM
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Just wanted to say Thanks to Steve at the Filling Station. As always, he (and the Filling Station) are always looking to aid not only their customers but also VCCA members. Definitely one of our Premiere vendors and source of support. Thanks Steve. Always backs up his product(s).

1 member likes this: Augie
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I actually got to pick up an order at TFS and was impressed with their operation. Be a fun place to hang out on a Saturday morning but quite the drive for me so I'm usually a ship-to customer so was really nice to see the brick and mortar store. Jealous of those who live close!

JYD I did have Eagle Point circled on an actual paper map but between hitting a couple vendors out that way while avoiding actual rush hour Portland traffic and the family wanting to drive the coast, I ran out of time and exceeded my allotment of "car stuff" on our road trip.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I was looking forward to seeing you. Too bad that you missed visiting the local "Junkyard Dog Country".

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
From my experience the JYD yard was well worth seeing though I believe there isnt quite as much to see these days, last I heard the boneyard had all but been emptied and diesel dan has found a new home.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I did learn that I'll be back that way again. The road trip/vacation is more than paid for with savings from shipping and not paying duties on parts. We pay double the sticker price plus dollar exchange on most things so it would make sense to plan an annual shopping trip for just random stuff around the house, not to mention the car parts...
The big fear with visiting JYD is coming home with another project!

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
last I heard the boneyard had all but been emptied and diesel dan has found a new home

Nope.........my boneyard is far from emptied. Some of the goodies in the boneyard have gone away, including a 1929 Chevrolet roadster last week, but there is still a ton of stuff in the boneyard and just about all of the items (1929-32 and 1969) are available.

Yes, "Diesel Dan" did go away on eBay many years ago since I was no longer using him.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Just found a discrepancy with the order I picked up and literally within 5 minutes of emailing them, The Filling Station sent me shipping notification that the missing piece was in the mail. Great customer service!

1975 4-speed L82 Vette
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Stopped in to The Filling Station in 2011 and picked up a few items. Felt very welcome and they helped me with what I needed. Better than another place I stopped.

1946 Chevy 3100 1/2 Ton Pickup Purchased 11/18/17 Sold 9/20
1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Coupe, Purchased 6/20/2010
1965 Chevy ll 350 Purchased Feb 2021. 3-speed Saginaw Hurst Floor Shifter 3.08 Rear End

2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Steve knows most of what he has in stock and which models it will fit without looking at a book or computer and is pleasant to talk to.
Tony

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Steve from TFS here. Thanks for the kind comments gents! We appreciate YOU and the VCCA! Standing by when you are ready for more parts! :)

Kind regards, Steve

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm in the UK and have tried to source parts from TFS that would be delivered to a friend in Kansas City, for a relative to bring them back to the UK for me, saving considerably on international postal charges. Sadly the items I tried to order aren't in stock, they would need to be ordered by TFS and would take at least 3 to 4 weeks before being available, if their supplier has stock of course. That timescale would probably mean the parts would land in Kansas City after my pal leaves for home. I've suggested the TFS website should indicate whether an item is stocked, or would need to be ordered, that way buyers would know exactly where they stand. It's so disappointing to order something only to be told we haven't got it, we've got to order it! I could of course pay the postal charges, but that would result in me paying around four times the cost of the item just for the postage. Also the internal (US) postal charges on the items I ordered were estimated at $10, despite the biggest part of the order being cancelled because it wasn't in stock, the postal charges came to $11, go figure!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Steve from TFS here. It is not possible for a small company like ours to stock every item that we offer. Some items only sell once or twice per year and others may not sell at all during a year. We try very hard to stock popular items but supply chain issues have continued to be a frustrating part of daily life. Inbound shipments continue to be slower than we would prefer. While we cannot show on hand quantities online, we do notify customers promptly when any order is not complete - just as you were notified. We try to work within your timelines, but we refuse to promise something we cannot guarantee. We rely on our suppliers to have things in stock, delivery services to get them to us promptly and hope that nature doesn't stand in the way. I regret that this situation did not work out as you had hoped.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by swk1
Steve from TFS here. It is not possible for a small company like ours to stock every item that we offer. Some items only sell once or twice per year and others may not sell at all during a year. We try very hard to stock popular items but supply chain issues have continued to be a frustrating part of daily life. Inbound shipments continue to be slower than we would prefer. While we cannot show on hand quantities online, we do notify customers promptly when any order is not complete - just as you were notified. We try to work within your timelines, but we refuse to promise something we cannot guarantee. We rely on our suppliers to have things in stock, delivery services to get them to us promptly and hope that nature doesn't stand in the way. I regret that this situation did not work out as you had hoped.

You say that you RELY on your suppliers to have stuff in stock, as a new customer reading all the glowing reports and a personal recommendation that's what I expected from TFS, I was relying on you being able to supply from stock. As they say, you live and learn.
Do you consider my suggestion of noting that certain items need to be ordered in to fulfil an order would help?

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
The specific item we did not have in stock is an item we have sold only two this year. One on Feb. 3rd and one on July 8th (three days before your order). Our normal stocking level is one, so it has now been ordered and due here in about one week. What we don't know (and why we can't promise your order to be filled by a certain date) is whether the supplier will have it on the shelf; when they will ship the order to us; whether there will be delays in shipping; or if the package might be damaged on the way to us. For these reasons, we always use a 3-4 week lead time when customers ask how long an item will take. Many times it turns out to be less, but we would rather give a worse case scenario and if it is a shorter lead time, so much the better. Since your order was time sensitive, we did not feel comfortable telling you we could get it to your friend on time. Steve

Last edited by swk1; 07/13/22 04:18 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Steve, thanks for the response. Should the item I wanted be available in a week, or slightly over, would you be willing to let me know if it does come in via my account with you? I'll double check my pal's schedule but might still have time to order and get it sorted if it does arrive quickly.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Roddabaz,
Tell the rest of us what the item is. If Steve can't supply it within your timeline, maybe someone else has it laying around and could get it to your friend in time for him to bring it to you. Just a thought.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
1 member likes this: Roddabaz
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by 35Mike
Roddabaz,
Tell the rest of us what the item is. If Steve can't supply it within your timeline, maybe someone else has it laying around and could get it to your friend in time for him to bring it to you. Just a thought.

Mike

Good idea Mike, thanks. Although I'd already ordered a similar item from Autoparts Obsolete as recommended by someone else here, theirs didn't come with a replacement spring, so I'd ordered the TFS item that does provide the spring @ $24.95 for the KIT

CHEVROLET 1937-1947 3-SPEED GEARSHIFT REPAIR KIT part number SA-276

I searched for a window regulator repair kit but sadly TFS only do that for trucks, so I couldn't order anything. Further investigation of the broken window winder indicates that the whole mechanism is shot, hence I need everything to enable the window to wind down, the gubbins behind the door panel, and the winder itself. It's the driver side window, but my car is RHD so would be the passenger side for you guys.

The other item was a 1939 passenger car licence light lens glass, part number GR-85, the gasket GR-85G was in stock - see attached images.

Thanks for the constructive ideas.

Attached Images
sa-276.jpg gr-85.jpg
Last edited by Roddabaz; 07/14/22 03:32 AM.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
I recall when the Filling Station was in Rancho Cordova CA; more convenient than OR for me!
I have a problem with their shipping policy (not that any shipping is cheap, or even reasonable an more!) but when I ordered two parts recently, the informed me after my payment went in that one was back-ordered -- then when it arrived, I found that I'd been dinged twice for shipping (at the minimum, but it was a very small part!) because they were out of stock. I complained, and got to talk to the hand. Then I checked with the other suppliers, and all claimed that if it was their bad (out of stock) they would definitely not charge twice to make two packages. I didn't think so! Not a good taste in my mouth for F.S. any more -- gave my orders back to Chevys 40s. Other views?
Wick Humble, driving Chevy's since 1961.

Wick_Humble
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Best to check stock availability BEFORE placing the order. Then you can decide if you want to wait or if both items are available elsewhere . Unless they said they had the part and then back ordered it I would not expect them to send it prepaid . If it was a high dollar item maybe that would be different .I think they should have at least given you an option but if it was an online order chances are thats not going to happen.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I have only made a couple orders from TFS and the delivery has been excellent (typically 1 week from payment to arriving on my doorstep in Aus) but have checked availability beforehand.
Tony

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
What I've ordered from the Filling Station has had to due with excellent service and knowledge of products.

Jon T.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have never had an issue with the Filling Station regarding shipping. I have had them give me a call after I placed an order to say they did not have an item that I ordered and asked what I would like to do. One time they called me and said that in my profile I had a 41 Chevy. They were asking what my plans were for the car and actually told me how to save money by using a different part since I was not going for a perfect reproduction. That is the type of service that keeps me going there.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I've dealt at the filling station since god knows when. NEVER, NEVER had an unsatisfactory purchase. not so at chev's of the 40's. mike mccagh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rustoholic, Stovblt, Rusty 37 Master, Buckaroo01), 72 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,059
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.