Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#471640 07/04/22 10:40 AM
PeterV Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hello everyone,
I have a question about Year of Manufacture Plates in Massachusetts. I want to register my car with them but can't find what the driving restrictions are. I know with Antique plates you can only drive on Sundays and to and from parades, car shows, or special events. I can't seem to find what the driving restrictions are for YOM plates. Tried calling the registry but you know how that goes. Can I drive the car anytime I want or are there restrictions?
TIA,
Pete V

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Have you tried searching the online information for the state office for vehicle registry?

In Iowa the state site has very clear information about registering and licensing older vehicles. This includes the use of YOM license plates.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Pete,

In California, there are no such restrictions associated with YOM plates.

I suggest you go to your DMV's website and download their rules and regulations book. If it is a PDF document, you can search it using ctrl-f in the Adobe Reader.

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Massachusetts YOM plates first need to do a search Massachusetts RMV website that no other number is being used.
Second you can also have the RMV run the numbers for you to use. Plus the antique plates can’t be repainted or touched up and must be original.
Plus running YOM plates you don’t need two plates if you only have one.
As far as driving your car.
You can drive it any day of the week or weekend as long as it’s for public display, car shows, cruises, parades and even for repairs.
Just can’t drive it to work or an every day car and errands like shopping.
If you’re still worried then call you’re insurance carrier and they can give you this same information.
I run all of my 1933,1934 Chevrolet’s and Ford cars with Massachusetts YOM antique plates.

Last edited by roara; 07/04/22 03:24 PM.
1 member likes this: PeterV
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Generally it is custom to give the full meaning of an acronym and then put the acronym in parenthesis. The acornym can then be used through the other sentences and paragraphs in the body of the text.

I confess that i have no clue as to what YOM, RMV OR PDF STAND FOR.

Does YOM stand for Your Old Mistake?

Does RMV stand for Rusty Member's Vehicle?

Does PMV stand for Public Menace Vehicle? 37/38ers take note. nanana Agrin

I don't know. hood

Come on guy, there are some of us who are not that ''hip" anymore. Please write it out so we know what in the h--l you are talking about in the first place. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on it. Agrin

As to the question of how many miles you can put on your vehicle per year, i suppose it is up to the state Department of Motor Vehicles or your insurance company. dance Who's gonna check? bike

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Charlie, you are absolutely correct. Good communication guidelines say that all acronyms should be spelled out at their first instance. I'm guilty as the rest for assuming everyone understands tech talk.

YOM - Year of Manufacture

DMV - Department of Motor Vehicles

RMV - I suspect is a misspelling of DMV

PDF - Portable Document Format. When you download a document from the internet, a lot of times that file has a .pdf on the end of the filename. That document can be read or printed using the Adobe Reader on your computer.

You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program.

;-) Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
RMV=Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I just drive mine when I want. It's one of the rules nobody cares about. If a cop ever asks me where i'm going I will tell them I just put points in and giving it a test run. He will not even know what points are!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just to add to Chevy 1937's suggestion, I lived beside a cop several years ago and, when discussing this subject, he said the same idea. He also said that if I had a buddy with me, just say that the buddy was thinking of buying the car and was being given a ride to see if the car met his expectations.
Chances are the cop that pulls you over just wants to see the car because his (insert relative here) had one exactly like it.
Of course , if you're driving a '41 around town and get caught doing 55 or 60 in a 30 zone because those cars don't know the meaning of "slow", it won't matter what kind of licence plate is on the car.

PeterV Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Roara,
How you doing? I've already had the number and the plates checked out. They passed just fine. Just wasn't sure about driving restrictions. I know with "Antique" plates there are many restrictions. Just wanted to check if I could take the grandkids for an ice cream on a Wednesday night without getting in trouble. I suppose if I did a little research I could find a car show going every night of the week and just say I was either going to or coming from that show. Thanks for the info.
Pete V

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Peter, the link I posted above says the antique plate rules also apply to YOM plates. That's an easy one to get around though. If you get stopped and asked about it tell them you just adjusted the brakes and are on a shake down drive & the grands wanted to come along.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Pete V, ice cream on whatever day would be under public display with no problems driving.
It’s mainly insurance guidelines. Let’s say you drove your car to work or shopping and your car gets damaged then there’s a chance that you’re insurance won’t cover you. That’s basically the only driving limitation’s that you would have.
Thanks for asking! I’m doing great!
Finished last year my 1934 Chevrolet Standard Holden Roadster of a 2 year full ground up restoration restomod with no spared expenses on my build.
It just feel’s good to get out with other car people with no mask and don’t even care about any awards.
Got several trophies last year with 2 already this year with first place at the Massachusetts Sandwich Museum Gardens auto show and the Milford car show.
Plus I got an invitation to the Newport Concourse de elegance auto show in October.
Remember that I drive my roadster everywhere with now only 900 miles on my recent build.
Here’s a few pictures!

Attached Images
866BCD19-B537-4E35-BDF2-56139D7FD75C.jpeg C6AB9D2F-3F7E-4AB4-90FA-D0CC2B018249.jpeg 40B004DF-20AB-42F1-B638-067C4C63AFFA.jpeg
1 member likes this: PeterV
PeterV Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Roara,
Looks a lot better than the last time I saw it. That came out great! Nice that you are driving it around and winning at the shows.
Mine is together and painted bit still needs the vinyl roof and the interior done. The roof should be done soon but waiting a while to do the interior. The seats I have are original but in decent shape. There is no headliner or door panels etc. Maybe over the winter. Was having an overheating problem but think it is OK now.
Enjoy the summer.
Pete V

Attached Images
Hood on-2  3-18-22.jpg IMG_0030 (1).jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.