Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Can anyone point me in the direction of finding step-by-step instructions for replacing the windshield in my 1939 1/2 ton pickup? I searched the forum and don't see any threads that provide step-by-step instructions for this task.

Thank you!

Mike

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Disconnect the crank-out strap and take out the hinge screws to remove the windshield. Separate the two halves of the frame by removing the T brackets at top and bottom. Remove the old glass (keep whole for pattern). Clean the channel and make repairs as needed. Install new glass with appropriate setting tape which should be available from your local auto glass shop. Re-assemble frame and re-install in your truck.
Alternate method is remove from truck, deliver to aforementioned glass shop, wait for call telling you it is finished, stop for Ice Cream on your way to pick it up, smile while you pay inflated bill, reflect on how stress free the experience was, reinstall in truck. This is my preferred method.

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 07/02/22 07:00 PM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the assistance since this will be my first time attempting the windshield replacement. Right now, the window regulator seems frozen when trying to turn the handle so I'm not sure if there is another way to extend the window regulator so I can disconnect it from the windshield. If anyone has any tips on how to do this, I would appreciate it!

BTW, option #2 is by far my favorite- who doesn't love ice cream?!

Thanks again for your assistance, Mike!

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.