Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
i have a 31 chassis we are building into a great race car. we want to retain the rear mechanical brakes but want to go to open drive. does anyone know of either a conversion kit to make the closed drive prinion to open drive with a yoke, or does anyone know of a later chevy center section such as 55 and up that will go into the 31 housing and if so are the axles from a 31 go into a later center section

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I see you have this posted in 2 forums. Most of us screen the full listings so we would probably see this in just one location.

Note there is also a Speedsters forum which might be of even more help to you.

Based on my knowledge and experience with these great cars there is no simple or direct conversion for the type of change you are considering. I am not saying it has not or cannot be down, just that it will take some special efforts.

The first point is that the ‘55 center section is so large that I doubt if it will physically even fit into a ‘31 housing.

While I have seen a few other posts asking the question, I have never seen an answer about how to adapt an open joint rear axle to an enclosed drive shaft transmission. If I were going to do this I would consider some type of intermediate bearing hanger that holds the rear end of a shortened driveshaft tube. The shortened drive shaft inside it would go through the bearing and connect to an open u-joint. Then you would have short exposed double jointed driveshaft that connects to the front of the rear axle. Somewhere in that set-up you will need a sliding portion to accommodate the change in driveshaft length as the axle moves up and down.

One big change is that a ‘55 axle has 5 lug nuts. So if you adapt the mechanical brakes to the ‘55 backing plate you need a special drum and wheel.

One of the regulars on Chat has just completed a late 20’s speedster project. You might want to PM him. He is registered as Dens41.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
thank you so much for your input

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I don't have any personal experience with these modifications. Several people I know have used t-5 transmissions on late 4 cylinder ('28) or early 6 cylinder ('31-'33) Chevys. They have made an adapter to support the original torque tube and a modern U-joint. Another used an S-10 rear end in a '49 with 200R automatic. Of course that was hydraulic brakes.

I am wondering if the original rear backing plates could be adapted to a more modern rear end?

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
The biggest problem I see is the open drive centre may be too large to fit into the early housing and then the bolt spacing is the next issue. Another issue is the axle splines may well be different.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
The Original Poster (OP) and I have been communicating via PM. I do not know his level of skills and knowledge regarding these types of conversions.

I have suggested that he should take the ‘31 axle apart to understand the design of the housing around the front of the input pinion shaft. He was thinking that there is a conversion kit to adapt the front of the axle to an open u-joint. He thought there would be one because there is one to convert a Model A axle.

In my latest post I suggested that he needed to reconsider his plan. He stated that he is planning to install a stock 235 with the T5. I told him that in my assessment this was excessive torque for that axle.

I did not even get to the discussion about whether the chassis/vehicle was capable of being operated safely with that torque and speed capability.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (gachap, chevy b), 97 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.