Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm repainting my 36, need to rewire but I'm getting second opinions to go 12 volts, how difficult is it for me to go 12v instead of 6V, ( I was told it should take me about 4 hours to rewire the car) also I'm redoing all brakes, and calipers too. just a lone wolf here. any feedback would be appreciated,

Gratitude

Marco Sanchez SR

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Any one that has never rewired a 88 year old car can plan on it taking it closer to 4 days rather than 4 hours.

Gene Schneider
2 members like this: bloo, 1936Chevy2Door
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I am not sure I understand why you want to convert to 12 volts. A well maintained 6 volt system runs these old cars just fine.

I agree with Gene that unless you have done it many times and have a ready-to-install harness rewiring is not a 4 hour job.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
1 member likes this: bloo
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I would not go the 12v way and as Gene said unless you have done several of the same car with a ready made harness recently allow a lot more than 4 hours, if you are making the harness yourself allow at least a week.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
All the above is reasonable comment if you are making the wiring harness yourself as "Jayhawker" did on one of his videos.

If, however, you get a ready made wiring harness from a company such as YnZ that specializing in that sort of thing, the time spent on installing it is much less and, yes, you can do it in four hours or even less. (There is another company back here in the Northeast USA that does excellent work as well. I can't think of the name of that company off the top of my head. Maybe someone will post it.) These readymade harnesses, while excellent, are not cheap but well worth the buck given lack of hassle of making your own.

Those company manufactured harnesses come with cloth coverings as original and are labeled so there is no doubt as to where they go. Those people put out products that are amazing and professional in every way.

If you'e merely going to piece-meal the job and just replace the frayed portions of the existing harness, then some plastic covered wire from your local automotive parts store will probably serve. Your call.

As to going 12 volts, i, as the others above, don't see any reason for that unless the 12 volts are need for some other than original reason(s) or dictating application(s0. Going this route may trigger unanticipated problems that don't need to be invited in on an old 36. just my opinion, Again, your call but remember the satisfaction that one experiences from having his car as close to original as affordable and desirable. The key here in the VCCA club used to be preservation and restoration. Should still be. dance

Good luck with your decision.

Best,

Charlie computer

Note: After having driven 41s since 1953 and owning about seven, the only time a 12 volt system would have produced better cranking power, and thus desirable at the time, is when an engine has been recently overhauled, etc and is still tight. No other time that i can think of. The secret of being satisfied with a 6 volt system is a good battery, good charging system, and good cables and grounds.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.