Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469394 04/29/22 11:48 AM
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I had a few of the ball joints loose. With my bad back, I need a bit of help. I found a “guy” that said he knew about older front ends. I drove the car over to his place and I pulled the tires and hubs off. Looking at the front end, it could use a few more fixes. Mainly king pins and the ball joints. I left the car over there and he pulled the front end off, cutting the bolts and just pounding it apart. He pulled the front end in his garage and took it completely apart. Now he tells me he is in over his head. OK, bad back and all I am the one putting it back together. Got a total front end kit. Looking at the shop manual and I’m doing OK. Putting it all together before mounting it back on the car. I’m up to the lower control arms. In the manual it says – Install the lower pivot bolt as outlined under “Lower Control Arm, Shaft or Bushings – installation”. In the manual I cannot find this section. I have threaded the “outer” into the vertical that connects the spindle. I have 2 rubber washers and it seems that only one fits inside the lower control arm. Does someone have a picture of the upper and lower control arms with the location of the rubber “washers”? I am at my wits end!

Just a note before you get someone to help, make sure he is not just blowing smoke!

Last edited by WI_Jeff; 04/29/22 11:48 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
IF HE REFERED to your "BALL JOINTS" he is from another world as ball joints were not used until 1952 on a Lincoln and 1955 on a Chevrolet.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
take a look here. about half way down the article during the assembly you might find the answer. the whole article covers everything start to finish.
https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/218134/
later, bill

WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
UPDATE: This is more about people than cars. The car part is short. I have the front end all rebuilt and ready to go back in.

The people part is that my "helper" and I had a few long talks. His father was a auto mechanic and he died when he was a very young boy and he was raised by his grandfather. From what I understand, he never had a "mentor" or someone to look up to. He is a good small engine mechanic in his own right but does not know much about cars. He needed the work and overstepped his knowledge taking on a car. Long story short is that he is now concentrating on his small engines and I showed him how to do the "billing" on his jobs, to be fair but still make an OK wage (As well as MANY other things). Summer is getting here now and he has work coming in. This may have caused me a bit more work rebuilding the front end, but, I think I was meant to meet him and give him a leg up. I really like my 1950, but it is a machine. I think I got a person back onto the right path in life that is priceless.

2 members like this: m006840, Clement
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thank you!

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 56 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman, JEC51
18,307 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,069
Posts429,046
Members18,307
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.