Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#469352 04/27/22 02:22 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Need some help generating spark. With the key in the on position what voltage should be at the electrolock nut in the distributor? I have a new coil, points, condenser, cap and rotor. I did have the electrolock overhauled including a new wire. New battery, fully charged, including new 00 wires. any help would be appreciated.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Unless I misunderstand your question I would expect that there should always be a 6 volt reading between that terminal and a good ground when the ignition switch is on.

I cannot remember if the 1931 Electrlok is a design that the lock cylinder has to “pop out” to complete the circuit after the key is turned.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
It depends on the state of the braker contacts.
If the braker contacts are open, it is 6 volt, like on the ignition coil (both + and -)
If the braker contacts are closed, it is 0 volt (like on the ignition coil - )
Mihaly

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Rusty,
Yes, the electrolok does have a pop out cylinder and when it is in the out position it does allow current to the coil + side. I will do more investigating today with TiredOil's suggestions.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Doing some investigating, I removed the electrolok from the distributor. With the ignition in the on position (and the button out), There is no continuity between the outside of the electrolok and the screw that connects with the points. Conversely, when the ignition is in the off position (button in) there is continuity between the outside of the electrolok and the screw that connects with the points. Is this the correct operation of the ignition switch?

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The quick answer to your question is likely yes.

The 1930-1933 electrolock has three terminal screws. The two closest to the dash board are labeled "BAT" and "COIL". They are connected to a wire from the ammeter "BAT" and the positive post of the coil "COIL". The other connects to the center wire down the armored cable to the stud on the distributor end. A wire from the negative post on the coil connects to that terminal. When the cylinder is pushed in the two "BAT" and "COIL" will be open (no current path to the coil). The other is grounded. When the cylinder pops out the "BAT" and "COIL" are electrically connected and the other is no longer grounded.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
YES

electrolock GROUNDS out the points when in the OFF position

one of the lugs should have continuity with the screw, as that is where the COIL connects and sends the POWER to the distributor to FIRE the PLUGS :)

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I now have spark (happy days in 1931 chevy land). I believe I had a short connecting the points??? All the above helped me understand how the electrolok works and how to test and diagnose my problem. Not sure if this will help anyone, to make the installation of the nut at the points easier and not having to lower the distributor plate, I took a 8-32 nut and drilled it out and taped it with a 10-28 thread. It will give you just a little more elbow room when installing the nut. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.