Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#468625 04/03/22 09:14 AM
dougs Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Anyone touch up chrome bumper and what paint is being used.

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Despite the marketing there's no such thing as chrome touch up paint. The only fix for bad chrome (if you want chrome) is a replate job. You can paint it but it's paint, not chrome.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Never tried it but have seen some attempts -----what I have seen pedaled as "chrome paint" is really shiny silver paint that looked REALLY CHEESY ------looked like silver metallic paint on a chromed bumper. Replateing is the only way to go if you are wanting it to be nice in the end.....only my opinion for sure.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I agree with Tiny and Jay,

If the car is a driver and re-chroming is not feasible or whatever, then the paint may be an option.

When you do bite the bullet and get it re-chromed, it is important to pick a reputable company to do the job. Remember: You get the quality you pay for and high quality and lasting chrome wile initially not cheap, is the best way to go in the long run. dance

Last week I sent off a locking gas cap to Paul's because I have seen their work, used them before and trust them to do the best job on what you send them. Not cheap but quoted charge in the instant case is very reasonable considering the condition of the cap (grip edging not up to par. Note: Some other companies do quality work as well. You might want to ask informed friends whose opinion you respect and then go with their recommendation.

If your car is a 37 or 38 and/or has an outside sun visor installed then I think the paint option may be the way to go. Some things can't be improved upon. You know. (Outside sun visors on early 50s are an exception.) Agrin

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I painted a 1 Ton bumper black one time and I was really surprised at the bonding. I think if you were trying to hide a scratch, a tiny brush and some paint may mask it somewhat.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I had to paint the bumpers on my 41. We are on a budget and the front one is dented and bent so re-chroming was not an option. Make sure any existing chrome is well sanded to allow the paint to bond. Also a good primer will help what ever you choose to bond better. I tried multiple brands of chrome spray paint and thought all looked like cheep toys. Found Rustoleum Bright Cote Metallic Finish silver to actually give the best results. To me while it is not reflective is is silver and dose not take away from the parts that are proper chrome. Also not being reflective it hides the pitting, dents and bends in the part.

[Linked Image from vccachat.org]

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Wow thanks for the information. That is really impressive.

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
In 1976, I was prepping my 1935 Chevy for a drive to Colorado Springs, for the 15th anniversary meet of VCCA. I too was on a budget and was running out of time. There was a missing patch of chrome at the bottom my grille surround. I bought a roll of Chrome tape and made a patch which is still there. It didn't fool anyone but it no longer called attention to the spot of missing chrome. I later acquired a nicer surround and I am hoping to get it installed before the taking the car to Bowling Green. I still have the 15th Meet sticker on the windshield of the car.
I was just thinking that I probably had a total of about $2500.00 in the car (purchase price, new paint, new tires, new upholstery, etc) when we left Columbia Missouri.
We pulled a small Pop-Up style camping trailer. The car was freshly assembled and had not been driven more than about 20 miles between my house and my parents house (my upholsterers). When you are 27 years old it's not uncommon to have more nerve than you have brains.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (CuChiRVN, JEC51, corvaired, CarDC), 74 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,053
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.