Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#468426 03/29/22 12:19 PM
Ky_Joe Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have recently bought a 1927 Chevy landau the car is
Unbelievable shape yet I’m struggling with getting it started I’ve went through the new start advice but I’m having trouble getting it to turn Over? Ive didn’t know anything about the positive negetive but it has everything lights and power to the gauges amp meter and oil pressure,but it won’t turn over? So I’m thinking it might be the regulator? Also I’d like any help to get the radiator off I want to take it and get it flushed and checked out along with the gas tank? But please help I’ll take any advice and would love to talk with someone in person or on the phone that can answer a whole lot of questions I have thanks men!!!!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
AM i CORRECT IN ASSUMING YOU MEAN IT WILL NOT TURN OVER WITH THE STARTER?

Gene Schneider
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
By "turn over" do you mean the starter won't turn the engine? If so the regulator has nothing to do with that. All Chevrolets are negative ground. Someone will be along soon who can help you. Good luck.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
First WELCOME to the VCCA Chat site. I am sure you will get all the info you need however sometimes it will require a little patience . All Chevys are negative ground and on your year car there is no "regulator" unless it has been modified. I don't have experience with the four cylinder era cars but noting you want to flush the gas tank I would suggest doing that before starting to prevent any "junk" being drawn into the fuel system. Also knowing a little history of the car will help with providing answers to your questions. When was it last running? Does it turn over by hand? Do you have an owners or other manuals for the car?

Steve D
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Ky_Joe,

I also welcome you to the VCCA's website! This is the best place to hang out and hob knob with old Chevy souls!

Steve posed some good questions about the background of your car. With more info, we can better hone in on answers.

In addition to getting a copy of the Shop Manual, I suggest that you take out the spark plugs and squirt some Marvel Mystery oil or automatic transmission fluid into the cylinders and let that soak to lubricate the walls and also free up the rings. Also, squirt some 10-30W oil on the rocker arms. The engine's oil pump does not pump oil up there, so you have to manually oil them.

My general suggestion about how to approach the project is to leave the engine for last. Work your way around the car making sure the brakes work and everything that is adjustable can actually adjust. ;-) Replace all fluids, check the tires, get the radiator flushed, gas tank and fuel lines cleaned or replaced, etc..

The idea is to get everything mechanical ready for a drive so that when you DO get the engine fired up, you can take off safely.

When you get to the engine, if it has been sitting for a long time, I also suggest dropping the oil pan (you can do this with the engine in the car) in order to clean out sludge and do a visual inspection.

Rejoice every step forward! The fun is to be had in solving the problems and keeping another piece of history on the road!

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.