Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#466647 02/05/22 11:29 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
After replacing the factory corks and rubbers in my '36 knee action units in 1994 and fitting new bushes i lived with the slow drips. I recently fitted a modern oil seal inside the adjusting nut but oil still leaked out the nut thread when tightened. When i removed the radiator to attend to a leak i gave this leak another go. With front end on stands to remove radiator I loosened nut as far as it would go and cleaned exposed 1 to 1,5 threads with brake cleaner after siphoning oil out of unit. I put thread locker on the exposed thread and tightened the nut. After cleaning off the thread locker i painted the gap between the nut and the housing with enamel paint. After drying i gave it a few coats of paint whilst waiting for my radiator to return. Took 3 months to patiently wait for repair and refilled shock unit. No leak so far.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
i rebuilt mine, and I've sealed all the previous leak areas, and now for some reason like yours mine started to leak out of the main cap threads. ill probably do the same. get some type of sealant in the threads

1936 Chevy Coupe. All Original
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Cochina my unit i sealed still does not leak. I have used the car and expected a leak afterwards but so far no leak. Still have to build up the courage to do the other side.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.