Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello,
I am about to put the distributor in and realize that I am missing the “bearing washer”. From the picture I have, it looks like a washer. Could replace the part with a regular washer? Do I even need the “bearing washer”? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Jim

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Jim,

This washer/bearing prevents the distributor body from dropping down too far and, therefore, spaces the point mounting plate above the centrifugal advance mechanism.

So, yes, it is needed. I believe some of the vendors carry this washer/bearing and I'm sure that there are a bunch of such parts sitting in engines in private stashes.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Dean,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have checked with the usual vendors, Gary Wallace and the Filling Station, and they do not carry it. Would you be able to suggest another vendor that I could check with? Or, do you know where I could find the specs for the part so I can machine my own? Also, what material is it made of? Thanks.
Jim

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
It is basically a steel flat washer with smooth sides. I don't remember the dimensions and, unfortunately, I don't have any extras.

I know there are a lot of spare engines in VCCA basements or garages, so hopefully someone can chime in with the information or will sell you the part.

If you make a post in the Parts Wanted forum, you might get someone's attention.

Good luck! Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Thrust washer FS-435 fits 29-36. I have no idea if it would work on a 28 or if you could make it work. You might give the filling station a call and see if they have dimensions for the FS-435.

Dave

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.