Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Leapin Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
If you are interested I'll tell you the story of my 1935 Chevy 1.5 ton that's been in the family since new sometime. It's still on its original engine and still gets used everyday on my farm to do chores just like it was on my grandfathers farm and my uncles's after that. It has never been restored and gets used from zero degrees and snowing to 100 degrees and sunny.

I've started losing trans lube down the torque tube to the rear end. I have the bushings, seals, and propeller joint (U joint) to replace it all. I can see there's a tool available for the pickups to remove the bushings. I don't see one for the big trucks anywhere. Is it a chore? On a scale of “changing the oil to adjusting the mechanical brakes the first time" how much of a pain is the process? I need to time it when chores are light and field work isn't happening so I can stand to be without it.

Attached Images
4423FBFD-55B2-45F2-BD69-9F60F151BBB0.jpeg
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Leapin,

Love your truck and the family history. There are some truck experts on the site as far as your question goes and they should be along to answer soon. I have one to do on a car and it seems it would be a chore harder than brakes but doable if the new parts are made to the right specs.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Dave

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The '35 truck expert will be along shortly. Mike frequents Chatter so after his breakfast and a couple of cups of Java will be ready to help.

You are so lucky to have the truck kept in the family for all these years. And to top it off it is still a valuable vehicle being used often. It doesn't get any better than that. I am sure that the editor of the G&D would love to publish its story in the magazine. It would be a highlight at the upcoming VCCA Anniversary Meet in Bowling Green KY. Hope you join the VCCA and bring the truck so it can be honored. We are a great group of folks (except for a couple of old grouches).

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome to the VCCA's website! Great old truck!

I suggest that you get a reprint of the shop manual. They are full of very useful information. You can buy it from one of the vendors that advertise here or from someone on ebay.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Leapin Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I happened upon a certain Mike that is about as knowledgeable as anyone I know (even if he is in Missouri!). Wait until he pokes fun at my favorite parts chasing truck! What a great group of folks - I just wanted to keep it running and working in its original state but never dreamed the wealth of knowledge I would find. I’m no stranger to the mechanical side of farming and do my own work, but this old truck lost her brakes, lights, and anything else not essential to feeding cattle long before I started driving it. With Mike’s help and knowledge I have gotten her back to her best shape in decades and with the right parts to boot! As kids we were petrified of it - it had 10 times more mice than humans in it at any given time who were willing to run up your pant leg pretty quick. I did join VCCA this last month, but I can’t imagine driving Leapin Lena outside the state of Kansas. She would get you there no doubt as long as 45 was just as fast as you could dream of going. Until I brought it to my farm it had never ventured more than 50 miles from its original address. That bushing situation has me a little concerned. I don’t like to be without my old truck more than a day or two. There doesn’t seem to be a “dip your toes in” phase to that repair but it has to be done.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I wrote a lengthy, and I might add, brilliant reply to this thread earlier today. It has disappeared into the ozone. Where do I begin?
I first encountered "Leapin Lena", and her caretaker, on the Stovebolt Forums. My heart went out to Lena, being trapped in Kansas for all these years, and being worked like a dog, day in and day out, at her advanced age. It was clear that she needed an advocate.
A few boxes of parts were shipped West. A few pertinent eBay auctions were communicated. Lena was gradually getting some love and some of her dignity was being restored.
A new rear hub, a W-1 carburetor, a correct fuel pump, and correct temperature gauge (eBay) are a few items I remember.
I made an offer to the aforementioned caretaker. I said bring a trailer and a sack of money to Missouri, and I will send you home with enough stuff to keep Lena going for your lifetime. It took some time ( think he had to rob a convenience store, or something) but he finally came a few weeks ago. I have attached a photo from that day.
We loaded him up and he drove off into the sunset with a rolling? chassis, fenders, doors, wheels, engine, cab tin, and many items too numerous and valuable to mention.
It was a great day.

Mike

Attached Images
CorysTruck.jpeg

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Leapin Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That must be about the same time I added a witty and charismatic replay that disappeared as well. Some sort of communist plot, no doubt. I’ve picked poor Mike’s brain more than he’s picked his own nose I bet - Leapin’s always just been a workhorse and not really anything of real value in the family. I always had a soft spot for her and tried for years to get a hold of it but it took some doing - “What do you want with that old thing” was the response as I recall. I’m trying to fix her neglect little by little, but it’s a long row to hoe. Bless her, she does still have to feed cattle every night and haul bales and things. I could use a pickup but it’s more fun to abuse her further in her advanced age. Thank heavens Mike had some front fenders - those have taken a beating feeding silage for all those years. She even killed a cow during a downhill runaway with those poor fenders many decades ago. Not one of my cows mind you. Those brake are fixed. I’m attaching my favorite picture - the day she hauled off the last draft horses Daisy and Bess in 1956. They kept trying to climb the stock racks so my uncle rode the racks for 30 miles to the sale barn with a whip in his hand. The broken side window in the picture was still rolled down in the same condition when I got the truck. I finally put in new glass a few weeks back. We’re getting there.

Attached Images
D18B9C93-B347-4665-B8D1-9B17D1251A6F.jpeg B5F86D23-E28E-4967-AB8A-BD7EFA8F1B38.jpeg
1 member likes this: bloo

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.