Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#465743 01/18/22 12:19 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey Guys, I am working on my 1922 touring. My problem was that the ring gear was breaking right inside where the bolts hold the ring gear together. It had broken almost half way around the ring. While driving one day it started to grind when driving so stoped and tore it apart. The ring gear was bending and breaking when driving so the pinion was only engaging half the times as it cycled around... After taking it apart i could see where it had broken there before and was welded previously. Luckily its fixable... I have the ring gear at a great machine shop getting welded up. Should be a few more days and I think he will have it fixed for me. But, while I have the rear end torn apart I was thinking about getting new leather for the rear brakes. The leather that I have on the car now is super stiff, brittle and slick. The brakes are very soft/poor even after adjusting the linkages. It's almost a rolling stop at times which is super scary... Anyone changed their leathers before? Does it need to be anything special type of leather? Where to buy it at? Any pre-made with holes punched? suggestions? All input and ideas welcomed.

Thanks
Brady

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

1922tour #465789 01/18/22 10:29 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
First of all, I have locked up my rear brakes in an emergency situation before so something else any right here.

Starting with the material, a woven friction material. I don’t have any actual specs but it is not leather.
I had my brake bands rebranded by a commercial shop many years ago and I don’t have the material specs. I know that I looked at McMaster-Carr in the past but their material is slightly thicker which would creat another issue.

As everyone knowns, brakes are very important so good luck with the repairs.

Chris
1922tour #487550 12/06/23 08:58 AM
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Sounds like you're doing some serious restoration work on your 1922 touring! Kudos for keeping the vintage spirit alive. When it comes to those leather brakes, you might want to consider getting some high-quality, pliable leather for the job. It's essential for good braking performance.

1922tour #487690 12/12/23 08:00 AM
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Sounds like you're doing some serious restoration work on your 1922 touring! Kudos for keeping the vintage spirit alive. When it comes to those leather brakes, you might want to consider getting some high-quality, pliable leather for the job. It's essential for good braking performance.
You can often find the right leather at specialty stores or online shops. Look for leather that's suitable for brake lining.
As for pre-made options with punched holes, that might save you some time and effort. Do some online searches or check out automotive restoration forums; fellow enthusiasts might have some great recommendations.
And if you're interested in delving deeper into the world of leather, you should definitely check out the Von Baer blog. They've got some fantastic insights on all things leather-related.

1922tour #487712 12/12/23 05:48 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hello 22tourer,

Getting back to your rear end repairs. There is a white metal thrust washer in the rear end that absolutely must be replaced if it has not been already. They are very brittle, and it is not a case of if they will fail but when. And when that happens the rear end will pretty well not be savable. Other searchers have found that those early rear ends are now made of "unobtanium" so you should be very careful with the one you have if you want to continue driving your car.

There was a fellow on here for awhile from Norway, or Sweden who posted the repair sequence for his car. He used a brass thrust washer designed for the model t, and modified it to fit his car.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 74 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,072
Posts429,077
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.