Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
kevzo22 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello all,

I recently acquired my great grandfathers 1932 Confederate. Its been stored and not moving since the 80's. So don't hate me for this but I am traditionally a vintage Ford guy so I know my way around the old cars. My question is that the transmission is stuck in gear and won't disengage. When the clutch is engaged you can roll the car around but the shift lever will still not release. Anybody have any tricks to help me out before I tear into the trans. thanks.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I suspect some parts have corroded and don't want to move properly. Suggest you remove the four top cover bolts and removing to see inside. Hopefully you will find the problem is in the shift tower and can be easily corrected.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
How does the transmission fluid look? It might be good idea to drain out what you can and top it off with penetrating oil, kerosene or diesel and let it soak for a few days and see if that makes any difference.

Have you tried rocking the truck back and forth with the clutch engaged to break it loose?

If those angles don't work, I believe that transmission has as spring loaded retainer that you should be able to push down and twist to pull the shifter out and/or you can unbolt and remove the top cover. Those transmissions are pretty simple so when in doubt, I would start taking it apart rather than breaking something, have plenty of penetrating oil and a torch ready if you need it.

-Tyler

Last edited by TJPlatt; 01/05/22 01:30 PM.
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
TJPlatt was close in his description of the shifting lever removal and would work on the bayonet style retainer used on its predecessors and later truck transmissions. 1932 was the first year of the new "synchronized transmission" for Chevrolet. That lever is best removed with a chain wrench around the retaining ring. Channel locks, or a pipe wrench usually do not work well on this style and will usually be more damaging than helpful. The best course of action is exactly what Chip suggested.

kevzo22 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Great thanks for the input, I am assuming the trans is similar to the ford 3 speed top loader transmissions from the same era?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Not so much. Other than having 3 forward gears, one reverse gear, and a splined input shaft, that's about it for similarities. The early synchronized transmission also had several revisions during its 5 year application in the Chevrolet marque (1932 to 1936). The later transmissions were quite a bit different from the early ones, not all parts will interchange. As long as it is not forced it is a good transmission and will work well for many years.

If I misstated, or left anything out someone will hopefully correct it.

Art

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.