Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#464940 12/25/21 12:29 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello All , I’m the new owner of a 1924 touring Chevy .
It is mostly complete mechanically , and I consider myself very capable on all the nut and bolt stuff , but the whole car is rough and I’m not sure how I can find information on how to rebuild the body like it should be .
Most of the wood is gone and I did not take the car apart so I could use all the help I can get . Are there any books that you guys can recommend ?
Thanks !

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hello Stephen! Welcome to VCCA Chat.

Congratulations on your “new” Chevy ownership. The oldest Chevy’s like yours are pretty unique.

My best advice to you is to join VCCA so you can find other owners of 1924 Chevy’s. I know there are many who will share their experiences and expertise to help you. That is the best way you are going to get information about rebuilding the body on your car. There is very little documentation on the construction of the body.

I admire the people who have the skill and patience to reconstruct a steel on wood body car. Each one was slightly different so even if you can find a kit it will take a lot of finesse and fitting to get it together.

Happy Holidays!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Welcome to you and your newly acquired '24 Chevy. Did your car come from the Beaumont area or Houston? I was aware of cars from those areas many years ago. The Touring bodies 1923-1927 are very similar. You should be able to get enough information from any of those years to understand how the body is put together.

I agree that joining the VCCA is a wise move. There are regions in the DFW and Houston areas. There a couple of Tourings in the Houston area owned by VCCA members. A nice '25 Touring in Magnolia, a '27 Touring owned by a member in Katy but stored near Burton, TX. I am sure you can arrange to see either or both. There are a few in the DFW area but don't know where now as at least two were for sale.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi Chipper,
I’m not sure if the origins of my car .
I’m going to start talking to a couple of the previous owners to find out more of its history .
My car is pretty rough overall .
Most folks would probably just use it as “yard art” , but I’m hoping to resurrect it one day .
I will take your advice and join the VCCA probably after the new year .
Thanks !

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
What you describe could be one I saw probably 30 years ago that was for sale near Nederland TX.

There are several of us in the Houston area that own Chevrolet four cylinders. At one time there were 11 '28 owners in our VCCA Region with around 20 vehicles between us. Still 5 of us that drive ours on VCCA four cylinder tours. They are a ton of fun on tours and the other folks are considered part of our family.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Welcome to the early 4 cylinder gang! I have a '23 touring and we have a lot of fun with it.
There aren't any good books about our cars but I have learned alot from other members of the VCCA.
Chipper is a great resource for mechanicals, there are threads on this site about engine rebuild. There are lots of benefits to joining the VCCA.

PM me and we can share emails to help answer your questions.

Chris

Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.