Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
CHC Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is there a preferred method for removing the window crank handle from the window regulator? My Fisher body book has great detail on the regulator itself but I'm not sure of the best way to remove the handle from the shaft. 1929 Coach front windows.
Thanks,
Chuck

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello CHC,
See post by BearsFan315 dated 07/11/18 05:52pm #411068. JYD says it's called a horse shoe clip. It slips over the openings of the crank handle hollow shaft to ride in the groove of the regulators solid shaft. The trick is to gain access to the clip to push or pull it to slip it away from the shafts, thereby releasing the handle connection. I think that's how it goes.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
basically same concept as most cars have, even some modern.
fun part is removing that clip, and hopefully it does not launch and fly away. they are readily available at parts stores :) you can use a putty knife, flat blade screwdriver, etc. takes time & patience!!

i push back on the fabric panel so i can peek in between, then i find which way the pin is facing, turn the handle so i can find it, then push on one side of the pin a tad, then the other, and back and forth till it pops out or release from the shaft. putting it back on is a whole lot easier !!

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/411068

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I always try to install the clips from under the handle arm rather than from the opposite the handle arm. The reason for this it allows the special tool to be slid in easier than trying to get it under the handle arm. In other words, the open part of the clip is pushed onto the handle hub, in its slot, from under arm resulting in the open ends of the clip being on the unobstructed side of the handle hub. I’m sorry for the somewhat confusing description but I can’t think of a better way to explain it. More modern door/window handles and cranks have a bulbous section cast into them so you can only install the retainer clip from one side of the slot.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.