Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#464309 12/07/21 03:27 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am looking for what size copper tube I should use for my oil lines. I am going to use 5/16” for my fuel lines. Can I use the same size for the oil? Thanks.
Jim

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
If memory serves me correctly, originally the oil line out of the oil distributor to the oil filter was 1/4" and the line from the oil filter back to the engine was 5/16". As long as you can route the 5/16" line and have any necessary fittings to connect everything up, you should be fine with that for both if you wanted. The only other caution is that originally there was an orifice (I want to say a #59 drill) ahead of the oil filter to restrict the amount of oil that went through the bypass filter (vs. into the oiling troughs). Mine was long gone, I ended up putting a needle valve ahead of the oil filter instead, not sure it was necessary but figured better safe than sorry.

-Tyler

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Tyler, thanks for your response. The 1/4” makes since because the fittings coming out of the distributor are smaller than the ones going back into the block. This information is very helpful.
I don’t think I totally understand the information you gave me about the orifice. Is there any chance you could post a picture here of what you ended up doing?
Thanks again.
Jim

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Jim,

As you can see in the photo, there's a needle valve on the inlet side of the oil filter. I did this so I could adjust the flow through the oil filter like the original restriction orifice (turns out that was a #53 drill size or 0.059" http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/2810.htm). I ended up leaving it completely open and seems to work fine. I think some owners have removed the orifice/restriction altogether and have not had issues, hopefully some of them can comment on their experience.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. It’s all very helpful.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I would recommend the use of copper-nickel tubing. It doesn't work-harden and break like regular copper.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I agree with coachman28 about using the copper-nickel tubing. I've heard stories about stress cracks developing and oil being lost which put the engine at risk.

Regarding the restrictive orifice in the oil filter line, I have been running a modified oil filter setup for over 20 years with no restriction in the line and no issues. I originally put this setup together so I could buy a cartridge filter instead of paying big bucks for the original filter, which has to be bought anew when it gets clogged up.

Here's a link to where I describe that setup when I rebuilt Lurch's '28 engine in 2017: https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/400847/re-resurrecting-a-28-4-banger.html#Post400847

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.