Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
1928 Chevrolet coach trying to install the window channels with the black rubber filler material onto the new safety glass how do I get the channels with the rubber filler to go onto the edge of the safety glass without breaking the glass

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
You should be able to use a rubber mallet, or a flat block of wood. If you can find a scrap piece of glass you can practice on that. Place a piece of carpet on a flat workbench/table to lay the glass on. Use the weight of the glass as resistance to pound the metal edge on with the mallet or a block of wood. As I remember it the rubber goes on the glass and the the metal is tapped on over that. Then trim the rubber bedding material back to the metal. The glass is tougher than you might think but will break if pushed beyond a certain point. Let us know how you make out.

Art

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
When going to college some 50+ years ago I worked at a company that manufactured aluminum storm windows. The rubber was put around the glass first and the channel pounded on as described above with a rubber mallet. We did however always keep the glass vertical . When removing the frame it was done on a flat surface using a wood block. When I asked about the process it was explained that with the glass vertical and pounding down you have the full dimension of the glass for support .

Steve D

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.