Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#463407 11/06/21 05:23 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hey folks,

I'm looking for a tire black kind of product that blackens or covers white curb rash marks on my tire sidewalls. My daily driver has white letter tires and thanks to my "senior moments" I've got some "curb rash" where I've scraped the curb. This exposes the white under layer of my sidewalls. Not really wanting to use paint as the solvents can attack rubber.

Does anyone know of a product that can cover up these white rashes permanently? I've been using black shoe polish but that eventually wears off. Not looking for a gloss like most tire detailing sprays. More like the old tire black. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Maybe a type of black leather dye ? hood

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Thanks for the suggestion, P.k.. You have the right idea. Hence, why I use black shoe polish. The dye would have to be safe for rubber. Recently, I tried a little brake fluid and motor oil. No go.

Except for glossing up the black, they don't hide the white marks. The search continues....

Hey, btw, I see you're in Seligman. Being a huge RT 66 fan, I wonder if Angel Delgadillo is still kicking around in his barbershop??. I know brother Juan passed away some time ago. Hope to get out there on my next trip!
Cheers!

Last edited by styleline51; 11/08/21 12:25 PM.

Rick

"Never time to do it right the first time, but always time to do it over."
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Yes , Angel is still getting around but not as fast as he once was. After Juan passed away
his son John took over at the snow cap and he and his family now run it.

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Black primer should work and the solvents will flash off fast enough to do no damage. I have oversprayed black epoxy primer and it tries to stay on most things.
Clean the tire well with Dawn dishwashing liquid and then spray a few really LIGHT coats of black primer.
Avoid all things petroleum based, and this includes most commercial tire dressing products.

The other thing that comes to mind is "bead sealer" for sealing bead leaks between the rim and the bead of tubeless tires. It is made for rubber and comes in a variety of colours.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.