Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
41Helen Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey all, coming back to the well for more help and knowledge!!!

I have a 41 Chevy Business Coupe that has a SBC and auto trans. It has a Mustang 2 front suspension in it that looks like it was been in there awhile. I took it for a shakedown and had a trusted shop verify what I thought. I am replacing the Upper control arms, outer tie rods, and both ball joints on both sides.

My question revolves around removing the coil springs. I have worked on a early 70s truck where once I dropped the lower control arm the spring decompressed and I could pull it out. On my 69 Mustang I have to compress it to get it out. Which way does the Mustang 2 Suspension work? I am assuming I need a compressor. I was planning on grabbing one from the parts store. Any other tips/tricks that will make this process safer and easier??? I will admit the spring portion scares me haha, but the replacing of parts and such isn't daunting. I am open to a step by step Barney level instruction haha, I'm not to proud to admit when I need help!

Thank you!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 750
Online Content
ChatMaster - 750
I have that in my 41 and have had the the springs out with just using a floor jack under the lower control arm.

Denny

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
41Helen Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
That's what I have been seeing on another Forum I posted on. I'm going to chain them up just in case, but I am feeling much more confident than I was 24 hours ago haha!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I appreciate your cautious approach. There is a lot of energy in a compressed front suspension spring.

Each vehicle seems to have different access and ways to control the release. One solution I have used is a long 1/2” threaded rod with nuts and a couple of small steel plates. I put the rod through the middle of the spring and put a plate and nut at each end. I tighten the nuts until I just feel that it is starting to compress the spring. Then I disconnect the lower arm pivot bolts and the lower ball joint or pivot. After that I use a flat ratcheting wrench to slowly release the load on the spring and lower the lower arm.

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.