Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#461168 08/30/21 05:20 AM
tonyw Offline OP
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I hope all our friends in the Florida area are safe by whatever means available to them.
By what the Aus news are saying Katrina wasnt trying in comparison to todays big wind.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

tonyw #461170 08/30/21 09:03 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Not a Florida storm,Louisiana and north. No matter how good weather forecasting gets they will never predict Mother Nature. CorvairEd Dade City Fla

tonyw #461178 08/30/21 12:10 PM
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your note checking on our a fellow VCCA members. As CorvairEd noted this storm shifted to the west and then went north up the Gulf of Mexico. It primarily aimed towards Louisiana and where the Mississippi River enters the Gulf. The path included the City of New Orleans. The area where it made landfall is also the area that they are planning to have the Southern Fall Tour in October. Hopefully things will recover enough by then so the tour can proceed.

It did make landfall as a Category 4 hurricane but has now been downgraded to a tropical storm. That difference is defined by the wind speed. There is still lots of rain over a large area as it moves north and east.

Based on the news accounts I am reading there is a lot of wind damage and flooding. There are many people without electricity and access to the areas is pretty limited due to deep water, downed trees, and bridges that were damaged. One weather station reported that there was a short term backwards flow in the Mississippi River.

Right now we seem to be in a really bad weather pattern across the continental United States. The southern and eastern portions of the country are dealing with lots of water from multiple storms. In the west it is so dry that there are unprecedented wildfires consuming unbelievable amounts of land. There are also wildfires starting in the northern portions of Minnesota. Here in the Midwest there are days that we have hazy skies and a few times you could even “smell” the burned ash from those western fires.

Whether it is natural or man-made, there are lots of signs of climate change.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
tonyw #461211 08/31/21 05:46 AM
tonyw Offline OP
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I must admit my US geography is very poor but the local news here tonight showed lots of wind destruction and flood damage apart from an estimated 1,000,000 without electricity and will possibility be for months.
I certainly hope everyone managed to get themselves to a safe place and if they got their cars safe as well would be a bonus.

CorvairEd is right, I learnt many years ago there is no way of predicting what mother nature will and can do.

There had been reports of fires in the west I think in an area north of California and possibly up to Oregon but I understood it to be several small burns. We are familiar with the might of fire in my area on the East Coast of Aus as last year we had a fairly big burn which took a lot of the area between me and the coast (about a 2 hour drive away) and quite a distance along the coast.

Tony

tonyw #461224 08/31/21 12:04 PM
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The wild fires in the Western states are definitely not small burns. Over 80 incidents in 10 states that total 2.5 million acres burned as of yesterday. Here's a website that is updated daily with info about the US natural disasters: https://www.predictiveservices.nifc.gov/outlooks/outlooks.htm

Our hearts and prayers are with all those affected.

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Gotta agree with you Rusty.
It changes.

Been farming long enough to know it periodically goes around and comes around.
And we ain't seeing anything that even I haven't seen before.

Still hurts when it hits though.

Ole S Olson
tonyw #461248 09/01/21 04:42 AM
tonyw Offline OP
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
The fires are bigger and more of than the news down here are saying then. After fighting several smaller burns locally I know it is not an easy task especially in timbered country, grassed country is bad enough but if the fire gets into the tree tops get out. Seems like the US is copping it from all angles, the only thing missing is pestilence. My hope is there are no lives lost (near an impossibility).
Tony

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.