Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#460736 08/15/21 09:08 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I apologize up front on this question owing to the fact that it may be better placed in another forum.

Question: Is there any point in chasing down an original part that has the original part number according to applicable parts books or price books when there is Chevrolet documentation that a later part with a different and/or later part number is or has been listed as a "replacement" part? When a car or truck is judged at one of our appropriate meets where the judges are knowledgable about such things, does it make any difference? stressed

The instant 1941 Voltage Regulator thread prompted this question as there may be other part that have been designated "replacement" for the original.

Just wondering because chasing original parts with the appropriate/correct number is both frustrating and relative more expensive.

Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlie computer

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I doubt most would notice but in case you run into a judge that really knows that vehicle one would think that if they restored one and have read the parts books they would know.

VCCA #45194
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Looks are what counts for 40s Chevrolets. I have been in numerous VCCA and 3 AACA shows and have never had a judge look at or ask about a part number. Case in point. In 1966, in Ocala, FL, I replaced my '40 genuine GM voltage regulator with an off-brand from Western Auto. That off-brand regulator is still installed, stamped on the base with the off-brand name but with the genuine GM cover installed. Never a question. For later models numbers-matching is a different issue. On my '70 Chevelle the judges usually checked to see if the engine number matched VIN number. A couple of times they checked the rear end part number to see if it was correct for the year and once they looked at the transmission. If it looks wrong you are going to get questions. I have not been to a VCCA show for several years but when I was going I would see '39 and '40 models with '41 to '53 216s installed but with the appropriate year accessories installed and no points were deducted. Having said all of that I still go for NOS or good original used parts. It's the principle of good maintenance and restoring. Stay away from the schlock houses for parts.

Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.