Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 48 Chevy Fleetline with a transmission shift lever that is slipping around the tranny shaft. It is the larger lever on the tranny which has no vacuum assist. The tranny shaft has a slot which my guess is where a key was supposed to be to keep it from moving. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this ? All help appreciated.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The vacuum unit operating lever which attached to the transmission was shaped to fit the groove on the operating shaft. It looked like a V-shaped tooth which slid into the groove on the operating lever. I have not seen the aftermarket lever which was made to replace the vacuum unit. Removing the vacuum unit and fitting the lever made the transmission shifting very chunky feeling. The vacuum unit was smooth.

STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
thanks for the input. I have been thinking about welding a tooth to fit the key slot on the trans onto the old arm ,also know as a lever. can not seem to find a old one .really need a side view picture to confirm what I think it should look like .any ideas appreciated.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500

Russell #38868
'48 4 door Fleetline
STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the tip , I welded a squared stock piece onto the lever yesterday and at first it worked picked up reverse gear and then no way would it get it got to crawl under the car today an see if it held onto the shaft or is there more going on I have a reprint of the shop manual an sometimes it just drives me crazy its like all the blanks are not filled in. I do have fun working on it but would like to drive it some too.

STOKER Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Good Morning everyone . Thought I would tell everyone that I did do a replay with the shift arm an removed the square stock then played with the welder and some files to build a new tooth . The new job works.I did have to pull the case of the tranny so I could get a good look at what I was trying to do., an after it was together took a nice long ride with my wife. It was a great feeling. thanks to all that offered advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.