Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#460105 07/28/21 05:29 PM
birtch Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 1950 Chevy Styleline Delux with Powerglide and a 235 in line 6 cy engine. The radiator has finally died, apparently it was the original as it is stamped "Harrison 3128876". I'm guessing that the 3128876 is the part number? I'm confused as to what type of radiator I need. It looks to me that there is a radiator hose at the top of the radiator going to the engine, then there is another hose at the bottom of the radiator. The bottom hose is about 3 inches long and goes to a metal box like structure that is about an inch and a half thick and 10-12 inches long. The box like structure looks kind of like the plastic urnial thing they give guys in a hospital to pee in. It has a slight gooseneck at the top and a hose goes from the gooseneck to the engine just under where the heater hose attaches to the water pump.(I think it's the water pump.) There are two metal tubes exiting/entering the box like structure, one is at the bottom and the other a couple of inches below the gooseneck. Both go from the box like structure back towards the transmission.
Am I correct in assuming the box like structure is the external automatic transmission cooler? If so I wouldn't need a radiator with a built in cooler would I? Assuming I am correct about that being the tranny cooler do I select the radiator for a std transmission or the one for an automatic transmission?
Thanks for any help you can give
Mel

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is your radiator fairly intact?. There are many shops that can rebuild or re core radiators. That way you keep the original and it is correct for the car

CarDC
VCCA# 52964
35 Chevy standard 3 window coupe
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Mel, Take a photo and post it, picture worth a thousand words. Re the radiator, CarDC is correct re. re-coring the radiator thus saving the tank parts. There are companies that make a radiator that look correct also. That does sound like either a factory trans cooler or aftermarket unit, make sure it's not rusted out could still be usable if not you can hide a modern trans cooler just about anywhere . Best of luck

Up Periscope!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
So I have a question about judging and the radiator. If one were to get a period correct radiator and a modern transmission oil cooler, mounted correctly, would it affect the outcome of judging?

My 1951 1 Ton is now on the road! My 38 Master 4 Door is also now on the road .
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If it is not as it came from the factory points will be deducted .

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.