Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#460187 07/30/21 09:39 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have cleaned, de rusted, prepped and painted my brake shoes using special black enamel caliper paint (Dupli-Color rattle can). Shoes will be sent out to be relined. Is caliper paint a good choice, or should I have left the shoes without paint? Also used caliper paint on the external brake levers,etc. in order to preserve the parts. This paint seems to very durable rated to 500 degrees and sticks well onto the cleaned and prepped metal. Any suggestions? Cars are 31 Phaeton and 31 Spcl sedan Storaker VCCA #18184

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Did you paint the surface where the lining is riveted to the shoe? If the paint wears away that will leave a small gap that would allow the lining material to move around on the shoe.

They type of paint you used is not a concern. I doubt if there is ever enough heat in those brakes to create issues. As a side note, I am always skeptical of any temperature resistant coating that does not require a temperature controlled curing process.

Any areas where arms and pins pivot or spring and links attach will soon be worn away. Just plan to check your adjustments soon after you have started driving the vehicle.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Good advice, thank you. I'll leave the lining contact surfaces bare metal as well as areas where moving parts connect/rotate.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.