Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#459239 07/08/21 12:39 PM
Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello- I picked up a "barn find" 1928 Chevy Landau a couple of weeks ago ( will post a picture as soon as I figure out how) Per the previous owner said it has sat since 1958. Its pretty much all original except the carburetor and the linkage attached to the starter. Would anyone send me a picture or two of how the original linkage is supposed to be attached? Thankfully,Gary Wallace was able to provide an original carb and linkage.

Thank you
Dave

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the our part of the Old Chevy Kindred Soul world!

You can post links to pictures that reside online in your posts, but if you become a member of the VCCA, then you'll be able to upload them to the club's server. This is just one benefit of many that make it very worthwhile to join the club. To post the links to your photos now, use the Full Editor button at the bottom of this thread and click on the Insert Image Link icon ([Linked Image from vccachat.org]).

When I got my '28 AB Canopy Express (Justin - see the links below), he had been sitting for over 40 years and needed a very thorough inspection, a bunch of repairs, and a lot of TLC.

Here's a basic list that I put together that described my approach to his resurrection: Waking up a vehicle that has been 'sleeping' for a very long time

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dean- Thanks for the list! it took a couple of days to get her cleaned up but she fired up and sound great. Hoping someone has a photo they can send!
Already joined the VCCA.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Welcome aboard, Dave!

I suggest that you turn on the VCCA emblem in your profile,so the club emblem will be visible in all your posts. That will also help to get the attention of one of the VCCA Chatter magic elves who will turn on all the member privileges for you.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I checked the VCCA membership roster and didn't find a member in Hallsville, MO. Apparently Davem68 thinks registration on Chatter is the same as the VCCA. They are different. Chatter is free. VCCA requires an annual membership payment. If he feels there is a mistake or error I can check if he sends me a PM with more information.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Oh my gosh.... this is not what I signed up for. I got on the VCCA web site, paid for a membership, received several emails confirming my membership, got a VCCA membership number and yet I receive a message that I’m not a member. I will call call first thing Monday morning to get my money back.
I have a solid collection of all original Fords and have recently started to collect Chevys, always willing to help and support fellow enthusiasts, but I’m not interested in getting into a pissing match with anyone about weather I’m a member or not.

Good day

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Dave
Please reconsider.
I for one am glad to see you here and am willing to overlook the F*rd thing, and will even admit to still using a 1952 Mercury M6 on the farm. :-)
I actually looked around before settling on this site to join.
I joined up BECAUSE of the level of civility here as compared to other sites, and also because I could see there truly is a high level of knowledge, experience, and expertise here without the "self appointed experts" who are right about half the time.
I still believe I have found the very best vintage Chevrolet lover's site.
And I believe you have too.
Please stick around and give us another chance.

Ole S Olson
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Wish Dave would have sent me the requested PM so I could use other search terms.

I finally found your membership on the membership roster thanks to Dean. Still doesn't show by town or state. Not sure why?

Once I was able to verify membership then I changed your status to VCCA member with the expanded privileges. Thank you Dean for assisting. Sorry it took a curved road to get your membership on the right track.

Welcome to Chatter and the VCCA Dave. Hope you forgive me for my failure. If we all were perfect then it would be a boring world. At least that is what I have been told.

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Fact. I’m computer stupid and don’t know how to do what your asking nor should I have to prove anything. I paid my money with hopes to share my experiences and failures with the other folks that enjoy preserving these cars instead of hacking them into something they were not meant to be

If I knew how to PM you I’d gladly send you my receipt that I paid for a membership dues before I cancel first thing on Monday.

I know Gary is out for a couple weeks but when he gets back I’m sure he can assist me with my carb linkage. I paid well for a RAKX but I’m more thankful he had one, but I’m sure he will help me

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi again Dave,

Most folks are not computer savvy and besides, most computers are user antagonistic!

The underlying software that runs our site is just such a beast. Keeping it up is a lot of manual TLC provided by only one admin. person and a few volunteer kind souls. Changes, like adding a new member, doesn't happen right away and there are many opportunities for glitches.

I'd like to also encourage you to stay and to take advantage of your new expanded site privileges. For example, you can now upload photos into your posts (they will reside on the VCCA's server) and you'll also be able to use the forum Search Function, which gives you a way to find info that has been posted before.

For example, if you want to see all the threads that mention "1928 carburetor linkage" for the last 20 years, you can go to the Search page (see the link at the top of any page), choose to search the 1912-1928 forum, and use a search criteria of +1928 +carburetor +linkage (the pluses mean find all these terms). The result will give you a list of the posts that contain these words. Below are screen captures that illustrate the search criteria and the results list.

BTW, here's where there is a write up for how to use the Search Function: Search Function Tips

All my best, Dean

Attached Images
1-SearchScreenShot.jpg 2-SearchResultsScreenShot.jpg

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Dean- i typed in exactly what you have in your screen shot, says no results found, i need that post from 2016 on the carb linkage please

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi Dave,

Yes, that would help you, but the photos were not posted in the thread. ;-( Here's a link to the thread: https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/380181/1928-ab-seeking-picture-of-carburetor-linkage.html

Send Mike Quezada an email (his address is in his post). If he still has the pics, I'm sure he'll send them to you. He was building a speedster out of a rusty '28 AB hulk. It turned out pretty good!

Ever onward, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Dean. I appreciate your time

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Here are some photos of the '28 carburetor linkage. Hope they show what you need.

Attached Images
28 Chev carb linkage back side.JPG 28 Chev carb linkage back.JPG 28 Chev carb linkage front.JPG 28 Chev carb linkage top.JPG 28 Chev carb linkage front1.JPG

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper! that is exactly what i was looking for. ill explain my confusion......the new rod that was supplied to me that goes from the cast iron pivot piece on top of the starter to the carb has a 90 degree bend on each end on the same plane, one of those bends should be rotated 90 from the other.

Again, thanks for your help

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper- was lucky to meet up with a friend of yours from Columbia MO, Mike was kind enough to let me remove his 28 carb linkage to make a template for me to build off of, fabricated the piece last night, and it works perfect. i have a few other items needed to get the engine back to original condition, please let me know if you have any info on who might have these

Flex pipe and air cleaner
Cover plates for push rods
Stove- did all 28`s have a stove? no clue where this would mount

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Mike is indeed one of my best VCCA friends. Long time member that supports the club and hobby.

Check with Gary Wallace earlychevyparts.com
OR
Flex pipe - your local muffler shop should have or be able to order some.
Air Cleaner - best to put wanted ad on Chatter or in the G&D to find member with an extra one.
Cover plates - I might have some but will need to check. Have way too many parts to know what extras I might have.
Stove - Probably need to either find one of fabricate one. I have a fabricated one on my '28 Coupe.

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you- appreciate the help. let me know if you find the cover plates. What is the round "tank" below the coil?

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The round tank under the coil is the oil filter. Unfortunately, there is no cartridge inside that you can change. The whole unit gets replaced when it is clogged.

Since you don't know when it was last changed, it would be a good idea to get a new one.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
My recommendation is to either plumb around the filter or run a line through the filter. We don't see the dust and crud from driving on paved roads like the dirt roads in 1928. We should change oil at least once yearly so the filter is not needed.

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks! I appreciate your time

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If Gary doesn't have that flex tube, the Filling Station lists it in their catalog. If I had access to my parts I have an extra set of the pushrod covers you could have. We are in AZ until around the end of August.

Art

Last edited by beachbum; 07/25/21 01:43 PM. Reason: Added text
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I gave Dave a pair of push rod covers and manifold gaskets at our local car club meeting last night. It was Dave's first meeting.
He said his car is occasionally back firing. It is fresh out of long storage. I suggested a sticky intake valve. Am I on the right track?

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
More likely intermittent electrical problem ie: ignition switch, misfire spark plug, gap in modern carbon spark plug wire, loose connection. Valve problems generally are more consistent than "occasionally". Vibration with wiggling wires and corrosion on connections are more intermittent.

Davem68 Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks to Mike for the push rod covers!! Great bunch of guys at the car club meeting

For the carb backfiring, I ordered new plugs and wires from Gary and the flex tube for the carb, also need to run the 1/2” tube from the crankcase to the carb, once I install everything back the way it should be, I’ll post a update. Been diverted with disassembling the rear end.

Thanks to Mike, Chipper and everyone else for their knowledge on this new project!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.