Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I recently ran across a NOS set of '1961 Corvair Monza hubcaps. What has me stumped was metal tire valve protectors (GM speak) that were included. The box was still sealed and there were instructions on how to install them. Are these just for Corvair or did full size Chevy hubcaps come with them? I don't remember the part number.. In my 30+ years of fooling around with Corvairs I've never seen or heard of these. Anyone?
CorvairEd VCCA#47508 TA#99 Dade City,Fla

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am anxious to see the answer on this one. I wonder if it had anything to do with Ralph Nader's "unsafe at any speed" campaign and they took extra cautions to prevent a flat and a potential rollover statistic in his column.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Are you sure that they were not the metal stem extensions that GM used?

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Gene, well they are metal but the instructions showed a rubber tube that slips over the tire valve stem then these go over that against the hubcap. I do not have these in my possession at the moment. I know many years ago these similar caps came on Model A Fords,I had them on mine. What and when did GM use these? Ed

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I may be misunderstanding your question but I am thinking the wheel covers came with metal valve stem extensions and a rubber sleve to keep the metal extension from rattling against the wheel cover.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.