Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Yes we are a dying breed, My grandkids and most young people show no interest to our kind of cars I still maintain my 1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe 5 passenger Coupe and go to shows and parades even though I am in the minority. I do it for me. If I please someone or bring back memories to someone that is a plus. The post on this thread are interesting. I detect there are still several of "us" around. Enjoy your pride and joy like I do. I have lots of trophies and plaques to show. Now I just go for the fun. JIM

1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe
5 pass. Coupe
On cover of Feb. 2002 G & D
www.rdgsons.com/n2.jpg
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
OK, lets be honest here. How many people you know that have "chopped up" and original vehicle. Lets be honest here.
I'm sure some of you may know more folks than me that have done this but I believe that today it is not as bad as it was in the 50's, 60's, 70's when some customizer could chop one and there would still be classics available so it was no big deal.

Today, those "classics" are few and far between and when you do find one it is usually a basket case...of which I have had a few! Then, to saw what someone can they resto mod them because they love to work with their hands and create the best they can....and as I've said before, there is no doubt what my resto mods are when you see them!!!

So before we assume folks are chipping up originals ask them what they had to start with and appreciate their "saving grace".

( I was not going to say more but feel compelled to do so for the sake of this topic/thread)

Back mid 90's I literally dragged my 37 home. Basically a cab with two doors and half a hood. I was also a VCCA member but as soon as it was know I was doing a resto mod the atmosphere changed. with kids in school/college Restoring it to original was not even possible so it received an engine/tranny that was sitting in my shop along with 4 fiberglass fenders and fiberglass running boards plus a few parts I could find in Ca..... which the guy lied about.
But alas, it is still running today and make no mistake about it, when you look at it, or inside of it you know its a 37 pickup!

Now, that I've acquired a 50 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Sport coupe that is "almost original" Tiny talked me into joining back up with VCCA.....almost original as it has a 261 engine in it. Am I going to the expense of finding and building an "original motor for it..... I think not. AT 74 I can use that money in retirement....or should I say its already eaten up my retirement. lol
I see and understand the mission of VCCA, I think, as well as most folks and I do appreciate it....and I do appreciate the forum for 'modified".....or I would not be here today!!

Remember common sense goes a long way....and remember, the mods and rods you see at shows may not be a destroyed original. Just saying.......now, where are you driving YOUR car this weekend so they can be seen??

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton Pickup
1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe Coupe
1953 Chevy 1/2 ton Panel Delivery

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hubcap than ride in a Ferd.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Mine will be at the Forney Transportation Museum parking lot tomorrow. It is my grandmother's car, 300,000+ miles that is a driver, a 20 footer, that will never be able to get 950 points to get a first senior award, so will never qualify for preservation status. I enjoy driving it and answering questions about it.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I enjoyed reading the responses although I did not read all of them I will put my $.02 in. Just speaking for myself, I could not afford to keep everything stock. This 1947 Aerosedan is the first "antique" car I have ever owned and if I was to replace all the old wore out stuff with original or repop stuff that is available, well I just couldn't afford it. So I am taking my time and cleaning, rattle can painting and going to try to use what I have available for the headliner, doorpads, carpet and mechanicals too. I want to put a rebuilt 1958 235, maybe the Cot40's front brake conversion and an open driveline from possibly an S10 and a BW T5 trans. Hate me if you want or say I'm what's wrong with collectors now a days. What we really need to focus on is the "Green New Deal" mentality. At least people are keeping these old dinosaurs on the road. In the near future if we don't work together all these old classics will be outlawed and put in the crushers and the scrap sold to China. There I said it, whew I at least feel a little better.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Guess I will join in, I'm 73 and just got done with a 3 year long restore of a 1917 "490" touring car. It is original except for the paint color which is a Chevy color from 2017. They are only original once,but I have no problem with the rat rod and restomod crowd unless they start chopping up a hard to find car that could be reasonably restored. I still search for another project and have a lot of respect for the people that decide to sell a vehicle they think is just too nice to make into a rat rod or restomod.

1917 490, 1928 Depot Hack, 1925 Buick roadster, 1978 Vette pace car, 2002 Z06
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.