Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#457240 05/09/21 04:53 PM
DSVW Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi, I have a 1954 Bel air 3 speed.

I would like to hook a vacuum gauge up to the car to adjust the carb.
Can you recommend the best vacuum intake port to use for this application?
I see a port that has been plugged below the carb. I think it might have been for the wipers at some point but they have been converted to electric wipers.

Also, I want to install a vacuum gauge into the car. Can I use the same port that is recommended for tuning the carb.

Thanks!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You are correct if you are referring to the port just below the carburetor on the left side of the intake manifold. It is the port that provides vacuum to the wipers.

Yes, you can use it to connect either a test or a permanent vacuum gauge. Even though it is in a different location than yours I use the port for my wipers when I want to check vacuum and set the idle.

If I remember correctly that port on your manifold is a 1/8” pipe thread. I suggest you should use a right angle pipe to hose end fitting so the line heads straight back towards the firewall. A 3/16” vacuum hose is more than adequate.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
DSVW Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I will have to take another look at the location of the port that is now plugged.
On mine, the port with the pipe plug that I was thinking I would use for a vacuum gauge is directly below the carb, centered on the stack right below the heat insulator.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I think we are talking about the same port. That is the left side of the intake manifold. Typically directional references to areas and parts on a vehicle are given with respect to the driver’s perspective.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
DSVW Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Fantastic. Thanks!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.