Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I just found this site this weekend while building my ”˜26 speedster. I’ve built a lot of the body and took the motor and transmission out this past weekend. I have the motor out but can not separate it from the gearbox. Not sure how to get them apart. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the input shaft from the transmission is stuck (rusted) to the clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bushing, pressure plate or a combo of all the above. I saw in the 26 speedster thread a pic of the gearbox, frame mount and pressure plate cover connected together but all 3 were separated from the motor/bellhousing. Im sure I have all of the bolts/nuts undone but for some reason nothing is budging.

I can see a couple of two large bolt heads on the bottom of the motor but they appear to be holding a main seal. There are two nuts/studs that come from the clutch cover through the gearbox mounting plate that are undone. I just dont see any access windows or any other bolts that are holding it together. I might have to become a member so I can post some pics.

Adam

Last edited by thecruiserboy; 04/28/21 01:00 AM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Welcome to the forum. Membership has many benefits. Although I am not versed with your particular vehicle there are a great group of people here willing to share their expertise on this site.
CarDC

Last edited by CarDC; 04/28/21 11:09 AM.

CarDC
VCCA# 52964
35 Chevy standard 3 window coupe
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE BELL HOUSING FROM MOTOR BLOCK FIRST. THE TRANS IS BOLTED FROM THE INSIDE OF BELL HOUSING .

Last edited by chevy b; 04/30/21 10:52 AM.
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Still havent been able to separate the gearbox from the motor. I can’t remove the bellhousing from the block because i cant get a wrench inside between the flywheel and motor. Even if I could get a wrench up in there, the bolts would only back out about 1/4-1/2 way out before hitting the flywheel. To me it seems like the gearbox, gearbox frame support, and clutch covers should all come off together in 1 assembly or piece. Once thats apart I’d be able to remove the tranny from clutch cover and the bellhousing from the block. I’ve soaked them all week with penetrating oil and still no luck getting them apart.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The gearbox & flywheel housing are removed as one assembly Adam.

CJP'S 29
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the replies. I’ll keep working at it.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Finally got them separated. Had to chain the block to one of my lift posts and then used a come a long on the other post to pull them apart.
Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.