Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
ConnorV Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Evening All,

After tearing down the engine in the truck I am restoring I can't seem to identify these pistons, and need to replace the rings. the pistons are all nominally 3.675" +/- .001 at crown stamped STD and numbered. the oil rings crumbled when I pulled them out of the bores. Thought I would be able to get stock rings or some from Egge or similar, but now I'm not sure. Anyone know where they are from and or ring compatibility?

My 3-4 T gauge has gone missing so I didn't get to measure the bores accurately. The tops of the cylinders have a noticeable relief above the piston travel so I doubt it has been bored over. bottom end had 3 shims under each main, and rods had 2. and condition says it hasn't been decked but babbit looks re-poured and badly relieved with oil ways.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yl0FbDHtsNYaJSL5t0lGmOeqvDBzwomN/view?usp=sharing[/img]

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm no expert on pistons but it looks like those are the original 'skeleton' style pistons with 3/16" thick compression rings and 5/32" thick oil rings. You could try Gary Wallace (http://www.earlychevyparts.com/) for rings that will fit however, my guess is it will be cheaper and easier in the long run to replace the pistons and rings as a set with 'modern' replacements from Egge or similar.

I'm sure others with more experience on this will chime in. I for one had my engine bored and sleeved back to standard and used Egge pistons and rings with no issues.

-Tyler

ConnorV Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for that info TJ I’ll try to research the Carleton pistons. After getting the gunk out I found the bow tie and a few casting numbers. The compression and oil rings are all nominally 5/32”

I would like to avoid replacing it the pistons, as it’s not really in the budget after finding a few surprises like a crack in the head :/

Attached Images
86266412-1D83-4C16-9263-B16FA44944B5.jpeg 4D55FE83-FF7A-40BC-8C3F-1DF66B1242B0.jpeg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.