Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#456296 04/08/21 07:41 PM
35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have a locking gas cap that is the one with GM on the spring loaded cover. It is incomplete and apart. I have the main cap, the lock cylinder and key, and the sliding bolt that engages the dowel on the end of the cylinder. I do not have the plate with ears that holds the cap on the filler neck.
It appears that this part also holds the bolt in place. I can't tell what is supposed to keep the cylinder from coming out, unless once installed, it's rotation is limited to an amount that keeps it engaged in the housing. If anyone has a broken, ugly or incomplete cap that I could use to make mine work, please send a PM.
Also, am I right that this cap is correct starting in 1937?
Thanks.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

35Mike #456304 04/09/21 06:23 AM
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Mike,

I think you're right about them starting in 1937.

As to the repairing of yours, I think you may have a problem with that. Only because finding one with the parts your need may be difficult and/or having someone part with what they have even more so. They may be in the same boat as you.

The reproduction (re-pops) that will serve you right well and tits hard to tell the difference from the original. I think that the only readily obvious or noticeable difference would be the small brass pin protruding through the spring loaded keyhole flip cover/lid and the silver colored one on the re-pop.. That may have been corrected with the later ones but I don't know if it has or not.

They are relatively cheap (about 50 bucks) compared to finding an original that is complete and of show quality without having to have it re-chromed. A driver or show quality one will cost you much more. .dance

Good luck with repairing yours.

Best,

Charlie computer

Note: If you can find any GM cap that has the "A" on the eared plate on the bottom of it, then those parts may serve for repairing yours. I'm not sure about this but someone else may know better than I and let you know. Perhaps Gene, Ray, Chipper, et al.

35Mike #456314 04/09/21 09:28 AM
35Mike Offline OP
ChatMaster - 3,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 3,000
This cap is cosmetically perfect for my intended use. I just need a clunker as a doner.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.