Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#455744 03/21/21 11:59 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
My son rebuilt the vacuum fuel pump on our 1950 Chevy 235 engine several years ago using a kit from Antique Parts Cellar. The top end of the pump that moves the fuel works great, the bottom end that is supposed to supplement the vacuum to the wiper pump leaked oil from the start and never seemed to help the wiper operation. We ordered just the parts for the lower end and ended up with the same result, the pump is probably the worst leak on the engine. Is there a trick to rebuilding the vacuum end of these pumps?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Gary,

Seeing that no one has responded up to now, let me comment.

I don t 'know the answer to your question. I have no experience with that type of fuel pump. Double-action I think they're called.

You may have a bad gasket or a crack in the pump's casing. Accordingly, you may want to inspect the pump's casing for a crack. Using a little oil-resistant sealant with the gasket may help also.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to install a regular fuel pump and take the vacuum for the wipers from the intake manifold. This of course will result in a decrease in wiper action than that provided by the double-action pump.

Just an annoyance when you are climbing hills in the rain. Remedy: Let up on the accelerator pedal now and then to help clear the windshield momentarily. If hard rain is forecast, then leave the car home and find some other mode of travel if you must go somewhere. Don't even use it for an emergency trip to the hospital. Call an ambulance. Getting blood out of the upholstery is hard to do. dance

If you love luv2your old car then nothing should interfere with you taking care of it. Driving your old car in the rain is a no-no. dance I'd rather die than abuse mine by getting it get wet (except a hand wash job now and then) or have to travel without clearly seeing where I'm going. Would too!. bikeOf course if yours has been modified or personalized, then have at it without reservation; blood and all. Agrin

Best,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
There was a vacuum fuel on my 52. When I rebuilt the engine, I noticed that it took a lot more pressure to operate the vacuum pump. So I did not use it. I will send it to somebody free for cost of shipping.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Having had 3 of these combination vacuum/fuel pumps on my 1950s, I don't recommend them. Every pump eventually blew oil out of the vacuum section vent.
Even here in the rocky mountains, engine vacuum is sufficient to run the wipers. If you get in a situation where you have to keep the pedal on the floor, do as Charlie says: "Let up on the accelerator pedal now and then to help clear the windshield momentarily."

Last edited by chevy50jim; 03/31/21 05:57 PM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I agree with the above. They are nothing but trouble.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
You could add a vacuum tank under the dash if you struggle - there are hundreds listed on Ebay.

1938 Canadian Pontiac Business Coupe (aka a 1938 Chevy Coupe with Pontiac shaped front sheet metal - almost all Chevy!)
1975 4-speed L82 Vette

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.