Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#449551 10/29/20 01:10 AM
JimGrn Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have been trying to figure how many 1957 Chevrolets had fuel injection. One source states something over 1000 corvettes, and another was about 1500 in total. There is one for sale right now on ebay and it is a convertible with fuel injection. How do you know these are for real? Apparently the VIN number can be faked, the under hood data plate can be faked, and so on. Any ideas?
Jim Greene

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
years ago,I restored an original 250HP 3speed 210 post . Four parts difficult to come by are the fuel tank sending unit( outlet tube is larger than your average 57 chevy) it shares the same sending unit with 270HP equipped 57's. all 57 pass FI cars had a trico vac wiper motor( an electric wiper motor would interfere with the FI distributor due to the distributor located closer to the hood of a 57. hence, all 57 pass car fi's used the vac operated wiper motor. additionally, the wiper system on the FI's had an Electrovac secured to the drivers side core support and this Electronic was energized by a microswitch atop the trico vac wipe motor. these small microswitches are like hen's teeth and the repos of the microswitch are not of the same color as the original microswitches. another unique to 57 pass car FI's is the pass side exhaust manifold. these manifold did not have provisions for the choke tube hole drilled in the top of the FI manifold. of course, the suffix on a 57 pass car FI will differ from non-FI engine pads.
I agree there were slightly more than 1000 57 corvette equipped with FI engines. and as I recall, there were also about 1000 pass car FI's sold in 57
if you are considering buying a 57 pass car equipped with FI, I'd encourage you to hire a person very familiar with 57 pass car FI's. if the car in question is within 100 miles of cumberland md, I'd be happy to have a look at it, no charge for the inspection. mike mccagh

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.